Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with weightlifting variation tips

Options
  • 05-10-2021 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone could give me tips on how I can add new workouts into my weights. I have a multi position bench and dumbbells that can join together into a bar. The below is what I've been alternating for the last couple of weeks.

Set 1:

Incline dumbell press 5 sets x 15 reps

Incline flys 5 sets x 15 reps

Flat dumbell flys 5 sets x 15 reps

Overhead extension 5 x 12 reps

Tricep kick backs 3 each arm x 12 reps

Set 2:

Standing shoulder press 3 x 15

Upright row 3 x 15

Dumbell Arnold press 3 x 15

Front raise 3 x 15

Side lateral raise 3 x 15

Reverse fly 3 x 15

Shrugs 3 x 10

Set 3:

Bent over row 3 x10

Straight bar bicep curl 3 x 15

Dumbell preacher curl 3x10 each arm

Seated hammer curl 3 x 10 each arm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

16 Exercises is plenty. I don't think the quantity is an issue. But I would look at the body part split. Summarising it looks something like;

H.Press x 1

Fly x 2

Triceps x 2

V.Press x 2

Shoulders x 4

Traps x 1

Back x 1

Biceps x 3

Obviously, I can see that you aligned selections to Chest/Triceps, Shoulders, Back/Biceps. That in itself is not a bad way to break up those parts. However, I would look at the priority. You are prioritizing smaller movements or group. 3 bicep curl variations, but only 1 back? I'd rather that was the other way. Obviously shoulder day will have a lot of shoulders. But 4 shoulder assistance moves plus V.pressing gives shoulders way more focus than back or chest.

And the biggest issue. No Legs. No hips.

Half of all your exercises are shoulders or biceps. The two smallest muscle groups. Bigger upper body groups like back (and to a lessor degree chest) are neglected. And the biggest muscles in the body, hamstrings, glutes, quads, are forgotten entirely. I'd cut out the repetition, more back, and add legs.

If the above bodybuildery split is how you want to train. You could easily lift a 3 day bodybuilder split from anywhere instead of writing you own.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Thanks for the feedback.

I wasn't sure how to incorporate legs into my home set up. I do basic lunges and squats a couple of times a week but don't have a leg extension on my bench to do any other workouts.

Very interesting seeing it broken down into groups like that. Yes, I would like to introduce more back and chest workouts but the above is pretty much all the ones I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Some lower body exercises you can do with a dumbbell:

Goblet squat

RDL

Split Squat

Jefferson Curl

Lateral Lunge

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Great. I'll look these up and add in a leg day

Advertisement