Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strangest/worst schedule decisions in Irish Radio history

Options
  • 05-10-2021 1:06pm

The one that really sticks in my mind was late 2003, Larry Gogan and his Golden Hour was moved to drive time on 2fm, whoever decided that must have been on something, thankfully it only lasted a little over a year and Larry was back on afternoons by Spring 2005.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Newstalk creating the dreadful ‘Lunchtime Live’ show. Rubbish radio. The last thing the airwaves need is another ‘Live Line’.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

On the contrary it isn't a bad idea. Put the strongest performing music presenter onto an important yet predominantly music led show.

I used to listen to 98 fm a show, can't remember lady presenter's name, program was about family issues, parenting, The audience would text her in about their familial problems. Then 98 fm in their wisdom moved the show to a much later slot in the night. When nobody would be listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Newstalk putting George Hook on at lunchtime. Holy Jaysus.

• Advertisement

What I found odd was that everyone made such a big deal about George retiring from The Right Hook, he popped up on every TV chat show and everything but moving from drive time to lunchtime is hardly retirement, anyway I'm sure he wishes he did retire that time as we know how his career ended.

maybe thread should be renamed in the last 25 years.

...or do we go back to the 1920's (Irish Radio History)?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Putting Mo K on between two dance shows on 2FM. Audiences are not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Putting Lottie Ryan on the radio in any timeslot.

Yes, I had forgotten that one, I was thinking that they'd fix the Saturday night schedule after a few months but he's still there 3 or 4 years on. Absolutely bonkers

• Advertisement

Another strange one about the current 2fm weekend schedule is, the 5pm to 7pm slot hasn't had a permanent presenter since Keith Walsh left 14 months ago and is presented by random hosts every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Killing Eds songs of praise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Getting rid of Premier League Live on Today FM every Saturday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hardly a decision; Today FM lost the coverage rights to Wireless Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

And seeing what happened to 3pm kickoffs between Mar 20 - Aug 21, they were probably lucky to not have renewed it.

Iirc Today FM let their rights lapse and wireless picked it up the following season.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Today FM when they lost their entire weekday daytime lineup in the space of a year or two:

Ray Darcy to RTE

Ray Foley to 98FM

Tony Fenton RIP

Not an intentional change of course but very damaging

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jennifer Zamparelli in any way, shape or form. Her presence on the airways in any context is the worst decision ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Newstalk trying to turn Tom Dunne into a morning magazine show presenter. Pat Kenny fronting an indie band would have been a better fit.

Also an ongoing one and not massively weird but Communicorp having competing drivetime news shows on Newstalk and Today FM. If BAI are obliging Today FM to do a daily news show, surely they could find a different slot for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Letting Ray D'Arcy on the air. I make more of an effort spelling his name right than he does researching any facts. Ask me again tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Creedon on Radio 1 overlapping for an hour with John Kelly on Lyric always seems a bit odd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Wedging an hour of talking about sport into a music station. Turn on 2fm, getting a little bit of Jenny Greene and then listening to some crew talk about sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Letting Joe Duffy or Lottie Ryan anywhere near a microphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Moving Brendan O'Loughlin (at the time a newsreader) and Rebecca Shekleton (at the time a full-time social manager/weekend presenter) to breakfast on 98fm seemed strange at the time, but they got nominated for the breakfast IMRO this year so the 98fm bosses must have really known what they were doing.

At least when George Hook and later Ivan Yates were hosting the Drivetime slot on Newstalk, communicorp had left wing v Right wing hosts but yerman Kieran Cuddihy has the same world view as Matt Cooper so it no longer makes sense having the two shows head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

As been mentioned, Today FM in general. I can’t understand their schedule changes over the last 6-7 years and the dreadful music policy that seems to be strictly enforced, regardless of presenter. So you have this crazy situation where the individuality of the presenter doesn’t seem to matter. The wonderful Ed Smith stood in for the appalling D’Arcy last week but not so you’d notice much. It was the same crap music as always. Clearly the presenters from 7-7 have no say in music choice. When Ed got back to his regular slot a couple of nights ago, normality resumed. Iano must have to lock the studio doors on the rare occasion he plays a Bowie record.

And maybe the likes of D'Arcy aren't as bad as they seem. It would be interesting to hear them do a show with a bit more freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Agree with the 2FM comments too. That station peaked about 25 years ago (mid '90's) and has probably had 15 schedule shuffles since. All of them gradually worse than before, with some bizarre choices - "Game On" at 6pm, Larry Gogan on drive time, Dave Fanning on drive time, shafting Will Leahy for the appalling Colm Hayes, etc, etc, etc.

Does anyone remember that time RTE tried to make Des Cahill a midmorning talkshow host on radio 1 ? I think it lasted less than a year.

I actually think you are being very conservative with that estimate of 15 schedule shuffles at 2fm since the 90s, I think it could be double that. The 1999 to 2009 period under John Clarke was absolutely manic, he literally reshuffled the schedule after every Jnlr. Poor Larry Gogan went from Drivetime to afternoons to weekends to back on weekdays again in the space of 2 years

• Advertisement

I'd say Ian doesn't care at this stage of his career what he can or can't play.....just going through the motions tbh.

Advertisement