Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter work coat

Options
  • 05-10-2021 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭

OK folks. I am sick of using an old good coat as a work coat so I am looking for a good winter coat for wearing on farm work. My criteria are,

warm,

reasonably weatherproof, I spend my time from shed to shed so don't spend long periods standing in the rain. I want it to be able to withstand some rain but doesn't have to be totally waterproof.

Not too bulky. I hate feeling like the Michelin man in a coat.

Durable. I am hard on gear so I don't want a tear at the first sign of a thorn or barbed wire.

Not overly expensive. I am willing to pay up to €150 so please no links to the latest merino wool underlayer super dooper €550 outdoors brand jacket with spaceship insulation.

How is that for a requirement list? I am not fussy am I? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I use those high vis sleeveless type boddy warmer type jackets great job and maybe a light fleese inside all so helps to be seen on these winter nights, of course you look more like a builder than a farmer but who cares right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Use a plain Canterbury jacket, warm and rel waterproof. 45 quid in the coop. Only thing is they van stick out a small bit so can get caught, twas corrugated tore my one tho not briars

This arrived in the post yesterday, I haven't had a chance to wear it out on the farm yet. Meant to be gore-tex, label say's it is, off the top of my head I saw it recommended on TFF so I took a chance on it. I like how it's longer than most coats and there's a fantastic high & comfortable neck if you zip it up all the way. The hood is sh1t 😂 like something out of a 50's Robin Hood movie but I wear a hat anyway so no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Not ideal if hood is ****, it's the top most part that needs most protection to stop water getting in and working its way down.

It gives good coverage to stop that happening, just little face protection. I wear wide brimmed hat as I wear glasses so water going down my neck isn't going to happen

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

If money was no object for me I would buy this one, bought a milking apron and sleeves at the last ploughing and they're still going, seems to be good stuff in them.

Bought this one, it seems good quality, but I find I can sweat in it even though it says its breathable, but that could be down to me being sweaty in general and wearing too many layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bodywarner here and hat. Phone fits perfectly into your pocket . Leave torch on. Great at this time of year bringing in cows. No hands needed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

Buy a good head torch whelan. You'll never look back

Definitely. Phone a nuisance when you bend over and it falls in the muck in the middle of winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Good tight pocket it doesnt fall out

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I have one similar to this

but mine must be 15 years old at this stage. They have a bit of a tail too to stop the rain p155ing down your trousers. Have tried a few other ones that are similar (Mascot, Portwest) but this has outlasted them all.

Last jacket i got was from Army Surplus. Proper waterproof from Hungarian army. Find it a bit bulky and cumbersome though so it only comes out if I'll be working outside in the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭green daries

Ya good point but Ive found night searcher headlights very good bit expensive but they last

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I’ve 2, a sleeveless polo body warmer stuffed with duck down. Over that I wear a 2nd hand Barbour bought pre brexit off eBay. Wax it myself about once a year. Wax coat was around €35 and the other one was around €70 in Tk Max.

You might have to pay vat on bringing one in from UK now though. I’m after getting 5 years out of the body warmer but it’s rough looking now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Have a look at Carhartt clothing. Have 2 jackets here one with a hood. Not waterproof but very warm and hard wearing. They do wet weather gear too. I got mine online from EPT in Carlow. They had only a limited range but Carhartt have a eu website I think.

Advertisement