Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Winter work coat

• 05-10-2021 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭ Grueller

OK folks. I am sick of using an old good coat as a work coat so I am looking for a good winter coat for wearing on farm work. My criteria are,

warm,

reasonably weatherproof, I spend my time from shed to shed so don't spend long periods standing in the rain. I want it to be able to withstand some rain but doesn't have to be totally waterproof.

Not too bulky. I hate feeling like the Michelin man in a coat.

Durable. I am hard on gear so I don't want a tear at the first sign of a thorn or barbed wire.

Not overly expensive. I am willing to pay up to €150 so please no links to the latest merino wool underlayer super dooper €550 outdoors brand jacket with spaceship insulation.

How is that for a requirement list? I am not fussy am I? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭ kerryjack

I use those high vis sleeveless type boddy warmer type jackets great job and maybe a light fleese inside all so helps to be seen on these winter nights, of course you look more like a builder than a farmer but who cares right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭ Mooooo

Use a plain Canterbury jacket, warm and rel waterproof. 45 quid in the coop. Only thing is they van stick out a small bit so can get caught, twas corrugated tore my one tho not briars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭ herdquitter

This arrived in the post yesterday, I haven't had a chance to wear it out on the farm yet. Meant to be gore-tex, label say's it is, off the top of my head I saw it recommended on TFF so I took a chance on it. I like how it's longer than most coats and there's a fantastic high & comfortable neck if you zip it up all the way. The hood is sh1t 😂 like something out of a 50's Robin Hood movie but I wear a hat anyway so no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ Jb1989

Not ideal if hood is ****, it's the top most part that needs most protection to stop water getting in and working its way down.

It gives good coverage to stop that happening, just little face protection. I wear wide brimmed hat as I wear glasses so water going down my neck isn't going to happen

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭ timple23

If money was no object for me I would buy this one, bought a milking apron and sleeves at the last ploughing and they're still going, seems to be good stuff in them.

Bought this one, it seems good quality, but I find I can sweat in it even though it says its breathable, but that could be down to me being sweaty in general and wearing too many layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,953 ✭✭✭✭ whelan2

Bodywarner here and hat. Phone fits perfectly into your pocket . Leave torch on. Great at this time of year bringing in cows. No hands needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭ Grueller

Buy a good head torch whelan. You'll never look back

Definitely. Phone a nuisance when you bend over and it falls in the muck in the middle of winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,953 ✭✭✭✭ whelan2

Good tight pocket it doesnt fall out

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ PoorFarmer

I have one similar to this

but mine must be 15 years old at this stage. They have a bit of a tail too to stop the rain p155ing down your trousers. Have tried a few other ones that are similar (Mascot, Portwest) but this has outlasted them all.

Last jacket i got was from Army Surplus. Proper waterproof from Hungarian army. Find it a bit bulky and cumbersome though so it only comes out if I'll be working outside in the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭ green daries

Ya good point but Ive found night searcher headlights very good bit expensive but they last

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭ blue5000

I’ve 2, a sleeveless polo body warmer stuffed with duck down. Over that I wear a 2nd hand Barbour bought pre brexit off eBay. Wax it myself about once a year. Wax coat was around €35 and the other one was around €70 in Tk Max.

You might have to pay vat on bringing one in from UK now though. I’m after getting 5 years out of the body warmer but it’s rough looking now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭ foxy farmer

Have a look at Carhartt clothing. Have 2 jackets here one with a hood. Not waterproof but very warm and hard wearing. They do wet weather gear too. I got mine online from EPT in Carlow. They had only a limited range but Carhartt have a eu website I think.

Advertisement