Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing a car just for spares -VRT etc implications

Options
  • 04-10-2021 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi, Does anyone know if you import a car just for spares (not to put it on the road) do the same VRT etc rules apply? It's just that in restoring an old car I could do it far cheaper if I had another old car to hand to salvage parts from. (Car isn't quite old enough for vintage).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I would think that if you're not registering it then VRT is not needed. That is what the R in VRT is. It only matters if/when you want to put an imported vehicle on the road.

Only thing I would be concerned about is the remainder of the bodyshell and making sure no-one can ever put it back on the road when you are finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭FreshCoffee

Thanks Miscreant. I also assumed VRT would not need to be paid. However to be on the safe side I called Revenue. I don't think the lady I spoke with had ever had such a query and she also assumed VRT would not need to be paid but thought VAT & duty rules would apply as normal which I would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

That's an interesting idea. How far could you go before you run into trouble I wonder? What constitutes an original car for vrt purposes - chassis number?

Say in theory you managed to get a low mileage doner car imported. If you then transferred everything from the imported car to your original - engine, gearbox, suspension etc then you'd effectively have the imported car on the road without having paid the vrt. Would be an insane amount of work so wouldn't imagine it exactly being practical but would be curious what would happen in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

VRT = Vehicle Registration Tax. No registration, no tax.

You still need to pay VAT on anything that comes into commons market though.

Advertisement