Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port tunnel - Variable Speed Limits enforced

Options
  • 04-10-2021 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

I was in the port tunnel recently and due to congestion on M1 ahead there was a variable limit of 50km/h showing. It was widely ignored and although I was in the left lane, I had an aggressive HGV tailgating me as I was trying to stick to close to it (I'd say I ended up averaging 60km/h).

I know they have the average speed cameras in the tunnel, but do they enforce the variable limits or only the 80km/h limit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

If the radio reports are to be believed the answer is "not yet". They are apparently there for drivers to "get used to them" which is the usual nonsense they do, so drivers will get used to ignoring them, and then there will be a spate of calls to Joe Duffy about getting speeding tickets with no notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

That’s M50 J4 to J6, not DPT. There has been automate enforcement of speed limits by average speed limit cameras in DPT for years. I’ve no idea if it applies to lower speed limits. You could check the underlying legislation to see if they can (which doesn’t tell you that they are) or you can wait and see.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Port Tunnels limits can and do change mid-tunnel and I wouldn't think the SPECS install there could cope with that. I've not seen or heard of anyone getting fined for breaching a 50/60 there; only the overall 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wasn't aware of this but I knew they metered it. It's less to do with congestion on the M1 and more to do with what's going on with traffic in the port. They do meter traffic from time to time in the mornings to make sure that nobody gets stuck in there. This can't happen as every journey into the tunnel needs to begin and end at opposite ends of the tunnel and sometimes they stop port tunnel traffic completely.

Advertisement