Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP over LTE (48.ie - three network)

Options
  • 03-10-2021 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a set up 7.99 a month internet connection with 48.ie and use a D-Link DWR-921/B 4G/3G LTE router for my Dad. He gets speeds of between 100-200 Mbps down and 50-70 Mbps up. I want to port landline to VOIP so he can keep his number, but I'm wondering has anybody had any success doing this, using 4G network.

Any suggestions or advice apprciated. He's an elderly man so need a solution that once set up is simple, although I could test things out online beforehand as I've the same router and network in my house.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

I had my VOIP number in use on a 3Mb/s ADSL line, so see no reason this could not work on any other Internet connection. The only problem I can think of might be Jitter and general stability of the connection which might impact quality of calls.

This does require an application or a dedicated device for handling the calls in and out. It is a separate service to the mobile phone service.

VoLTE (VOIP over LTE)is a different scheme, where the mobile phone, instead of using a local tower to connect to the phone provider, can make that connection through local (in house) WiFi and through the internet connection to the phone provider. It uses the mobile phone service and whatever mobile plan the phone is signed up to.

Both the phone and the service must be capable and compatible. This is most useful for those of us with little or no mobile phone reception at home or other location, which is obviously not the case for you.

That is how I understand things ..... but open to correction. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ldap

Hey. I literally just did this exact same setup for my mother. I’ve had a few issues and I’m not sure if I fully got it 100% working yet but I did manage to get it to work more reliably after a few days.

I’m using the Bria app which is €0.99 per month as it was recommended by my VoIP provider for iOS. I did have to reconfigure the app so that opus, GSM and G.729 are the top codecs otherwise you may experience choppy audio. I’ve disabled G.722 as well. I also brought the push server refresh interval down from 3600 seconds to 180 seconds.

I use Irish VoIP dot com (I’m not allowed to post link as I’m a newbie). I found them very helpful with any questions or issues. You’ll need to fill in a transfer form and provide a copy of your current phone bill if you want to transfer your current number.

We only use it for accepting calls but calling the states is something like 2c a min which is not bad. All other local and mobile calls can be done on the mobile itself for €7.99 which is a steal. I think the transfer of the number is something like €25 for the whole year and then we can top it up if we need to call someone from a “landline”

The caller ID for inbound calls will have them in the 353xxxxxxxx format instead of the 01 xxx xxxx or 021 xxxxxxx format, so that might confuse your father.

Also on iOS, the missed call from the app is in your iOS phone app but when you press it, it calls back via the Bria app, so be weary of that as you will be paying for them via the VoIP service and not using your unlimited calls on the 48 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You are mixing up WiFi Calling and VoLTE.

WiFi Calling routes the call over a WiFI connection whereas VoLTE uses the 4G network to route the call and it means that the data connection on your phone does not fall back to 3G while on a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

That router does not appear to have a regular phone port so you will probably need an ATA to connect a regular handset to or else get a VOIP handset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Thanks yeah i got it all set up now. Got a Grandstream DP750 base and a DP720 headset. All going well, sent it to my own house to set it up for my dad... Then told him up ring the house phone number, he was very confused when I answered it 150km away :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

Dang!

How did I do that? 😯 I now cannot edit the post unfortunately

Thanks for posting the correction.

Advertisement