If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

State Pension when not living in Ireland

  • 02-10-2021 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭bacon?

    I'm wondering if I can expect some sort of state pension.

    Currently 44, left Ireland in 2010.

    Paid tax (high rate) for 13 years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

    AFAIK If you're in the EU then contributions are amalgamated and you get paid from the country you're residing in, if you're somewhere like USA or Australia then no idea


    Countries with bilateral SW arrangements

  • My Irish years of employment are recognised by the German pension system. Received a letter about it last weekend from them.

    Because Germany is actually addressing their Demographic issues I suspect that by the time I retire I will actually have a higher state pension in Germany than I would have received in Ireland. I don't mean the German one will be especially generous but rather that the Irish system will collapse as everyone is whistling past the graveyard.

    I'm also trying to figure out how to get my Irish pension fund out of Ireland as there will be an irresistible urge by Government to steal a portion of everyone's pension funds when Ireland next has a meltdown like Michael Noonan did at the start of the last decade.

  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,056 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

    You will need to get a history of contributions from DSP and then do an analysis. It is a couple of years since I looked at it so cannot recall all of the conditions. You definitely will not get the full pension. You might qualify for a partial pension.

  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

    The tax rate you paid previously makes no difference it's the number of contributions of any of these classes A, E, F, G, H, N or S. You need 2,080 or more PRSI contributions (or 40 years’ of employment) to get the full state pension now. So you'd probably just about make close enough to almost full rate it if you work to 67.

    Or if you have no assets or savings or any other income worth a dam then you can qualify for the non contributory pension which means in effect if you are on the dole all your life you'll qualify for the pension too!!

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭littlevillage

    Answer to OP's question

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

    The link refers to bilateral arrangements to amalgamate pensions. However, if living outside of countries with such an agreement, can it be assumed that the Irish state contributory pension gets paid out to Irish nationals abroad based on the number of contributions that they've made?

    Does anybody have a link to a table that shows what proportion of a pension would be payable for those with less contributions? I assume there are different levels payable based on ranges of contributions.

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

    under the aggregated contributions method you should probably get a % pension based on the % of 2080 contributions to get the full pension

    Likely to be 13 years contributions 13 x 52 = 676

    676/2080 = 32.5% of the state pension

    But the only people who give a definitive answer is the pensions dept. Of SW

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

    On this page, there's a table that shows different rates but based on the old system of yearly average contributions. I don't see an equivalent for the newer total contributions system. Is there one?

  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Happyhouse22

    Maybe a stupid question - but how will they know if someone lives outside Ireland?

    Lets say I retire to a European country with a state pension with a lower value can I just continue to receive my Irish pension into an Irish bank account while living abroad?

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

    It's all under the link about ACM

    To receive the maximum rate of payment under the ACM, you must have 2,080 contributions and credits (equivalent to 40 years). If you have less than 2,080 contributions and credits your rate will be a percentage of the maximum rate of pension.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ploughna

    I paid PSRI from 1989 to 1996 before emigrating to the US. Am I eligible for a partial payment on retirement based on this - I calculated approx 390 contributions, so 390/2080? or is there a threshold to meet?