Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS recommendation

Options
  • 02-10-2021 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you can recommend a decent gps watch.

I'll be looking to get one around xmas. Not interested in spending a fortune. I'd say around <€200

My father in law has an older Garmin one from a few years ago which works well apart from a very irritating issue.

Let's say he tees off on the 5th and he slices it and it ends up on the next fairway....the 6th for arguments sake.

When he goes to his ball, the gps will assume he's playing the 6th and give him the yardage to the pin on that hole instead of the 5th. Obviously this renders it pretty much useless in that situation.

Can anyone here recommend a decent watch that can give accurate yardages and doesnt have the above issue?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Had long post that became double post. Edited the double and it ruined both and now one is gone.

My recommendation with an explanation was the GarminS10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

That's a pain in the hole. Happens me all the time!

Thanks for the recommendation though. I'll check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya man, do check it

Good value

Front, Centre, Back of green measurements

Distance to front and back of water hazards, distance to 100, 150, 200 marker

Exactly what somebody should need to really help them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Cheers. I've been reading the reviews on them since you recommended it earlier. It seems pretty good value and there's very little difference between that and the S12 to justify the extra expense.

Looks to fit the bill nicely.

I downloaded the Grint app and while it's very good, I found constantly taking out the phone to be a major distraction and pain in the neck. This watch looks to be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

All gps watches have a function to select the hole. It should be pretty obvious on the watch how to do this. On my garmin there's buttons on the side that let me scroll to the correct hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

I have the Garmin vivoactive for years now. Works great.

Note that it's more of an all-round smart watch than just a golf watch. I have it connected to the phone and alerts me to calls/messages etc.

It also does other activities like running/swimmimg/cycling.

Only thing for golf is that you need to download the course from the app first then you're good to go.

The vivoactive 4 is out now but I have the 1st edition and it still works great. Good battery life etc. Might be able to get a version that isn't the latest one a bit cheaper

Advertisement