Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home office heating/ventilation

Options
  • 02-10-2021 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

We are currently building a home office/hangout room/gym in our garden and looking at options for heating it. The building will be done in ICF as the site is sloping and will need retaining walls anyway, so it will be well insulated and air tight. It will be split into two rooms (at two levels). I would like to take advantage of high insulation and keep it as energy efficient as possible. Nevertheless it will still need some heating. The options that I have come up with so far are:

1. connect to the heating system in the house. New build is not too far away, and comfortable doing the plumbing myself. Will need some ventilation though, and preferably not just putting a hole in the wall. Possibly add a pair of single room HRVs. One benefit of this option is that I can bring the heating pipes in through a large duct, putting smaller ducts within it for hot water, power and ethernet.
    2. use electric wall heaters, with ventilation as above.
    3. air to air heat pump system - this would have the benefit of air conditioning as well, and from what I understand can address the ventilation also. More expensive though, and I'm not sure how quickly they would heat the room up.

Any advise or thoughts greatly appreciated. Probably not relevant to the question, but I am also considering adding solar PV to the roof. The roof is east-west facing which is probably not ideal, but have solar thermal on roof of house so no room there for pv panels.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Re Heating, have you researched far infra red, not for me but could be for you. They heat you, not empty air space

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Biker1

Regarding connecting to the house heating system, ok if it is gas or oil but if there is a heat pump supplying the house it would have been sized and commissioned for the heated volume and therefore may not be adequate for the extra volume of the office. An air to air heat pump would do the job especially if you have alot of glazing as these ICF builds are prone to overheating and the unit can cool the air as well, however it is not a ventilation system. As you say, the single room HRV's are probably the way to go.

Advertisement