Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Card Eye Test Waiting Times

Options
  • 02-10-2021 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi all, a couple of weeks ago I sent off my application for a medical card eye test with my local specsavers and I am still waiting to hear anything back, is a 3 week wait time normal or should I assume something is wrong with the application and try contact my local social welfare office?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi, this is nothing to do with SW , if you have a medical card and have requested an eye test your dealing only with the optician you've chosen (assuming your medical card in date etc) Who forward your application to the HSE for approval.

3 weeks does seem a long time but as specsavers have to get approval from the HSE to proceed, its likely the delay is with the HSE, perhaps call them for update on Monday. Did you send in the application or specsavers? My understanding is it is specsavers/ optician that sends in signed application form with your details, card number etc

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

Yeah I went into specsavers and asked to book an eye test with medical card and they gave me a form to fill out and told me to post it to the address on the form, which I did but still waiting for a response.. I think what is supposed to happen is the HSE stamp the form and send it back to me and I bring that in to specsavers to book the eye test.

I'll leave it another week and then will try contact the HSE, thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A I see, I assumed specsavers send it off , it's obviously a HSE backlog so fingers crossed you'll get news this week.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭blackeyedpeat

Your chosen optician should be able to give you a rough idea of the processing time. Approval times vary from health board to health board. In the North East/Navan office the HSE are taking about 8 weeks to approve forms. Pre Covid I believe It was over a year in the western area. Not sure about Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Brother got his eye test after a 2 week wait to get approved, this was in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

8-9 week wait for glasses after eye test

What's the big holdup

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Someone filled in a form in August, dropped it into the optical HSE West Office, received the stamped form in post the next day, booked eye test with an optician for following week, had glasses two weeks later.

Don't understand the weeks delay - HSE check the valid medical card number, last time eye test was had >2yrs, stamp form, post it.

yeah I'm still waiting for approval now 5 weeks later, I should probably call my local health office or specsavers and see what the story is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

My optician warned me at least a couple of months

What the hell would they be doing with the forms, are they dealing with mountains of paperwork or what

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe a side effect of covid with staff absences? So yes they are probably snowed under.

• Advertisement

Just to update you all, it took about 10 weeks for my approval..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pipitka

I have a medical card and got approval from HSE. WHY do I have to pay 25€ for eye's test?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Is that the full eye test price?

I have a medical card and need an eye test. What happens if I don't use the card, is it 25 euro and I can take my prescription and "shop around" for glasses?

If I walk away with my prescription, I assume it's valid for international suppliers?

Does anyone order online? My last purchase of glasses was ridiculously low compared to what I used to fork out, in fact I ordered some spares, which seem to have lasted longer than the optical parameters of the eyes.

SK

Advertisement