Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

VW Touran Leak

• 02-10-2021 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ Doug Stamper

Hi all, just looking for some guidance.

Bought a 2017 VW Touran with panoramic sunroof last week from a reputable main dealer.

Following the heavy rain this week water started to drop in through the unit above the rear view mirror (where interior reading lights are). It also showed up in the footwells yesterday.

It will be in with another VW dealer (closer to me than where I bought it) early next week for repair but what I am wondering is does anyone have experience of this situation:

If the drain pipes and the channel connected to them are clear (working ok) but the water is lodging in the channel where the wind deflector is and isn't getting to the drains. Is this usual?? It doesn't seem to be the usual fault of the drain pipes being blocked. If you have experience of this, how was it fixed? I can't find anything online with the same issue.

I just don't want to be told next week that the drains are clear so all fixed and away I go until the next heavy rain shower!!

Also, the car has had all it's annual services by the main dealer since new so how this hasn't been rectified by now I don't understand! Thankfully I have a 12month VW warranty.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭ Toyotafanboi

It's a very popular issue with them. It needs the sunroof cassette replaced.

Tricky one as the Das Welt Auto warranty doesn't cover rainwatee ingress so the dealer you bought from may have to settle up with the repairing dealer directly, or get you back to them as it's a costly job done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ Doug Stamper

Thanks Toyotafanboi. That's interesting regarding the warranty. As I explicitly asked the sales guy before purchasing if the warranty covered the sunroof and he confirmed it did as it's a "bumper to bumper" warranty! I hope I won't be getting a bill next week also!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭ Toyotafanboi

The sunroof is covered for things like if the motor stops working or it comes off it's rails etc, mechanical or electrical defects.

If they gave you the policy booklet though, rainwater ingress (through anywhere, not just the sunroof) is a specific exclusion. That and rectification of noise complaints like trim rattles and that sort of thing.

Other than that it is actually a really good, inclusive warranty. That's assuming it is a Das Welt warranty and not a Mapfre or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ Doug Stamper

Thanks for the info. It is a Das Welt warranty all right. Fingers crossed I can get it sorted as the car is good otherwise.

Advertisement