Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW Touran Leak

• 02-10-2021 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for some guidance.

Bought a 2017 VW Touran with panoramic sunroof last week from a reputable main dealer.

Following the heavy rain this week water started to drop in through the unit above the rear view mirror (where interior reading lights are). It also showed up in the footwells yesterday.

It will be in with another VW dealer (closer to me than where I bought it) early next week for repair but what I am wondering is does anyone have experience of this situation:

If the drain pipes and the channel connected to them are clear (working ok) but the water is lodging in the channel where the wind deflector is and isn't getting to the drains. Is this usual?? It doesn't seem to be the usual fault of the drain pipes being blocked. If you have experience of this, how was it fixed? I can't find anything online with the same issue.

I just don't want to be told next week that the drains are clear so all fixed and away I go until the next heavy rain shower!!

Also, the car has had all it's annual services by the main dealer since new so how this hasn't been rectified by now I don't understand! Thankfully I have a 12month VW warranty.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's a very popular issue with them. It needs the sunroof cassette replaced.

Tricky one as the Das Welt Auto warranty doesn't cover rainwatee ingress so the dealer you bought from may have to settle up with the repairing dealer directly, or get you back to them as it's a costly job done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doug Stamper

Thanks Toyotafanboi. That's interesting regarding the warranty. As I explicitly asked the sales guy before purchasing if the warranty covered the sunroof and he confirmed it did as it's a "bumper to bumper" warranty! I hope I won't be getting a bill next week also!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The sunroof is covered for things like if the motor stops working or it comes off it's rails etc, mechanical or electrical defects.

If they gave you the policy booklet though, rainwater ingress (through anywhere, not just the sunroof) is a specific exclusion. That and rectification of noise complaints like trim rattles and that sort of thing.

Other than that it is actually a really good, inclusive warranty. That's assuming it is a Das Welt warranty and not a Mapfre or something.

Thanks for the info. It is a Das Welt warranty all right. Fingers crossed I can get it sorted as the car is good otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 GeneralDisorder

Sorry for dragging up a dead post, but have a similar issue currently on a 2017 Touran - did the dealer get the issue sorted in the end

• Advertisement

So sorry to hear that General Disorder. We are currently on our third frame for the sunroof and all going well so far. All work etc was covered under VW warranty. I think this latest frame is actually from the Seat Tarracco.

It has been an ordeal tho.

Thanks for the response Doug - when you say 3 frames, did the same issue re-occur again after the inital replacement?

The current estimated repair for ours is eye watering at the moment when parts and labour are combined, so not looking forward to having to do it again if the frame cracking/bending is just an inherent design flaw.

The 2 year parts and labour warrent from VW does give some comfort in case the issue reoccurs but for a feature thats not used often paying to repair is not fun!

Thankfully all the work on my sunroof has been covered under the warranty. That bill sounds nasty.

Yes, the same issue has re-occured twice. It's now on the third frame within 12 months!

As you said, it's ridiculous considering it is never used. Won't be making that mistake again! I love the sunlight tho. Maybe a sealed unit in my next car, whenever that will be!

Would definitely recommend people to avoid this particular feature, not worth the hassle.

Id actively consider sealing up the existing unit if the problem happens again and if it's not covered by warranty and keep the car until it gives up!!

I asked them about the option to just seal it up and they said based on the size of the glass area, you'd have movement of the car frame versus the glass and you'd be back again for more leaks.

Im going to bite the bullet and get it repaired - with the 2 year warrenty on parts and labour I keep if for the 2 years and consider changing then before the issue reoccurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Another touran owner (2015 model) coming back to this thread. Water first appeared in rear passenger side footwell. Pretty sure the hose on rear passenger side has shrunk - no water coming into car from roof area. However I didn't deal with this issue pre-xmas and now sunroof has stopped functioning so can't even show the mechanic that the front drain holes were working fine and the water has built up enough that its now in front passenger footwell also. Have driven around a few mechanics and most uninterested in the job. May have to bite the bullet and go to official VW dealer service but based on above was hoping to get an idea of the eye watering costs others have had to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Most likely the spider trap problem that affects most of the VW pano roofs, there are little drains from the roof that allow water to escape, they tend to get blocked up which causes the leaks, I saw his on the rear view mirror in y Tiguan, good video here

Advertisement