Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listed building

Options
  • 02-10-2021 7:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi All,

A listed building has come up for sale near me and I was wondering what the implications are if I bought it? It’s lovable in now, but if I wanted to insulate it, do it up inside how would I find out what I can and can’t do before I buy it? All I can seem to find is basically apply to the council or ask an architect.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is it just the facade or is the whole building listed?

I bought a listed building in 2008, it is now a commercial property/health clinic.

From my experience I can tell you, depending on who the council planner involved is, this can be fairly straight forward or a nightmare. I had both, nightmare first, if I did what he wanted, it would have been cheaper to knock the whole building and rebuild. Then he was replaced by a sound guy who in not-so-many words said “ board up the windows and do what you need to do quickly”.

Remember, from the moment you go to the council about your plans, they will be watching its progress, so, my advice is ………

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

I’m not sure if it’s just the outside or not I’m not 100% sure how you find out to be honest. All I can see is the place on the listed buildings site.

Cheers

Advertisement