Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you ever feel cheeky asking if you will get paid for a trial or training?

• 01-10-2021 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

I think it can be very ambiguous sometimes as to whether you're going to get paid. And it can be cheeky because you've just been given a job and you're a burden to the company by them having to train you at that point. When you find out that you are going to be paid for such things, it makes it funny to think that - if you wanted to - you could take the training and then quit the job a week later and leave them at a huge loss while still getting paid.

I remember doing a 3 hour trial in maxol years back and that I was unpaid for and that was fine. But more recently I felt compelled to ask if I was going to get paid for a two trial shifts (16 hours total). The answer was "of course". But then a few months later another fella joined the company and did not get paid for a trail shift. So it was a good thing I asked! If I took the "lets earn myself some good will" approach I'd have been left with nothing.

Another time a bunch of us got a 4 hour induction via a zoom call. I asked the trainer who was hosting the call if we were going to get paid for it and he said "yes". I don't know if he was hoping I'd forget, but we didn't get paid for it. I chased it up with the appropriate person and was basically told "oh well he shouldn't have said that". I then had to go over that person's head to another person, who played the "oh so and so is on holidays now" card. Eventually I kicked up a fuss and got the money. Then all the others demanded it once they heard that I got it.

The thing is, I don't necessarily mind not being paid for training as long as it's specified. I really do wish that such things were specified more often. You don't know whether they consider it a normal question, or if they think your mind is in the wrong place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cheeky? No.

Training should always be paid.

A 2 hour unpaid trial may be justified, anything beyond that is taking the pïss.

IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 81,113 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's an employees job market, I'd certainly ask. There's no way I would take a trial shift for no pay, pure exploitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Nope. Happy to work for pay. Not for free.

Any company expecting a freebie is exploitative.

No pay should be immediate red flag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

You should be paid for every hour you work; doesn't matter if it's training or a "trial" shift or what. It's hardly "cheeky" to ask to be paid for your work as the law requires. If an employer is willing to start breaking the law in order to exploit you right off the bat, how do you expect they're going to treat you in the long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

If the training is a requirement for your role, you need to be getting paid for doing it.

What would happen if you said, thanks, but you'd rather not do the training if you're not being paid for your time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I work in the Hospitality sector so you can imagine the revolving door of staff we'd go through on a yearly basis. My boss/the owner is also a complete and utter penny pincher. In saying that however, each and every single person, no matter what age or role they're applying for or on trial for is paid for every minute they're working. Whether they're here for an hour or 10.

I can't even imagine anyone doing otherwise. I myself would find it unconscionable to not pay them for their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

THIS!!! I remember when I was starting I applied for a job that asked me to work on a project. My friend applied as well. I didn't get in but my friend did which was a bummer but it's ok haha then my friend told me months after that they used projects the applicants submitted. UGH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

You guys seem to be ignoring how common this actually is though. I did 4 hours of training recently and asked the boss yesterday if I'd get paid for it and he gave me a look like as if to say "are you for real?". He then said "yeah I'll sort you out for the that once the garda vetting comes through". I hope he meant it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's not common in any industry I've ever worked. Have literally never come across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I'd imagine paid training isn't considered the norm so much these days as Ireland goes further down the neoliberal path. Consider the proliferation of unpaid internships in recent years, cheerleaded by our main political parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

Why do we go to work? To get paid.

Training is work, you should be getting paid for it, no excuses. Any employer who pulls this 'unpaid trial shift' nonsense is simply a scum bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Latro

Time that is not 100% for your own disposal and required by the employer for any activities related to work should be paid.

Advertisement