Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Order any stadia game for $59.99 and get a free stadia premiere edition (expires October 10th)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Kuevasss

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That was a quick delivery!

I got an email notification of it being depatched today, so I'll probably have it Tuesday or Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Got mine today, nice bit of kit, thanks OP

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yep, mine arrived today too, but I had it delivered to work and forgot to take it home! 😆

I also got an email to tell me my free month of Pro is due to expire in a week, so everyone, don't forget to cancel your free month if you so wish! I might sub a month or 2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Tork

Got mine yesterday but I think the controller might be faulty ☹️ Will take another look later. I hope the rest of you have better luck with yours.

Post edited by Tork on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I received a working controller but borked chromecast. if you wanna sell on your chromecast i can buy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What's wrong with it? You have to hold in the stadia button for a few seconds to turn it on. Might need charging too.

There should be a small pin hole on the back to reset it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Return it if broken. Google will sort you, it's still a legal sale...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

Got mine on Tuesday. Working fine. Might keep the subscription.

It's fully charged and the orange light comes on as expected. The phone app is even able to make it vibrate during setup. But when I get to the next step of the setup, the connection drops. I didn't get the chance to take another look at it last night but it looks like seeing it back is on the cards

• Advertisement

Connection between the controller and chromecast? Or chromecast and the wifi? You will need to fully set up the chromecast first, then add stadia controller afterwards. Needs wifi to work properly.

The Chromecast is set up properly - no problems there. The controller can see the WiFi but when I get to the page where it looks for the password, the connection drops.

Make sure the chrome cast and phone and controller are all on the same WiFi. The controller never actually connects to the chrome cast it connects separately to WiFi.

But it sounds like it connects to WiFi via the phone if it vibrates. You should see a code in screen on the chrome cast that days something like press left A, B down. You type this in and it connects to the chrome cast session.

It's been a while since I set it up and it was a bit fiddly.

They all are on the same WiFi. The codes come up on the TV and in the app. I've tried those -no luck. And yes, I have the controller in setup mode. It barely stays on before conking out and not setting up properly. It is fully charged up so it can't be that.

Like I said, I'll take another look later when I've time and try again. I've set up controllers on other consoles and never had any particular problems with those.

I found with my controller that I need to connect it to the chromecast each time, and if it had previously been connected to my phone I had to restart it and put it back into pairing (pressing and holding the stadia button). It is definitely not as straightforward as it should be.

Yeah it's not like others. You can just plug them in and it's done.

I assumed that that would be all that was needed here. I'm familiar with regular Chromecasts too and they're reasonably straightforward to set up. I've paired Bluetooth devices without any trouble either. This one is either especially fiddly or is faulty. I'll give it another go later on and see if I have any better luck. Looking online, I see there are people who have had problems with the controllers disconnecting in the middle of games or being troublesome in other ways. Maybe that's why Google were clearing them out like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I seem to recall the initial setup via the phone not being the most obvious sequence of steps, but once I don't switch to a different wifi network the switching between using the controller for playing via the Chromecast or phone doesn't need anything other than pressing the button sequence on the controller.

The initial setup I seem to recall needed the phone to first create it's own hotspot to share the wifi of the desired network with the controller, and the point at which the phone switches back to connecting to the actual internet connected wifi wasn't the best explained through the app but my memory is a bit fuzzy on that. Past that point though its super simple.

I'm going to send this back. I think the controller can't retain a charge. Another attempt to get this up and running was fruitless. I'm fed up of seeing this screen (so I thought I'd share it with you). The controller is definitely fully charged but it only stays alive for 25 seconds before it powers off. This gives me just about time to get to the screen where it looks for the WiFi password. Then this screen cuts in. It's an experience identical to trying to boot up a laptop or phone that only has about 1% of its battery charged. I've also tried to connect to the WiFi while it was wired but got the same result.

That does sound like a battery issue. When my controller is dead and it gets a quick charge that's how it behaves. Seems to take a long time, connected using a decent plug and the included wire, to get it charged to any decent level. Holds a charge well once charged though.

Definitely worth sending back.

• Advertisement

Sorry to derail this thread but I thought I'd thank those of you who tried to help me out here 😎 I went onto the webchat on the Stadia website this morning https://support.google.com/stadia/contact/stadia_chat and after a few questions, the rep agreed that the controller was faulty. The end result is that I'm going to be sent a replacement and an email with return instructions has just come into my inbox. It was a pretty painless experience and I'm hoping that it'll all be straightforward from here.

@romperstomper If your Chromecast is borked, get onto Google ASAP and organise for a replacement. I think the window is 14 days from when you received it but the sooner you get moving, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭romperstomper

guessing you have to return the entire thing? not just the controller? my issue is that I don't want to return the whole thing cos my controller is fine and my kids are using it for pc games

That's a good question and I need to double check that.

Maybe go onto the chat anyway and ask. You'd be mad not to return the Chromecast just because your kids use the controller. I was offered 2 options, one of which was them sending out the replacement straight away but putting a hold on my account until they got the faulty one back. The other was to send the controller back straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

Hopefully another deal like this before Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Looks like my Chromecast is done as well, won't pick up wifi, won't factory reset.

Very very poor

If anybody needs to return a faulty Chromecast or controller, the turnaround is really quick. I arranged to have my controller collected on Monday and the replacement has just been delivered today (Thursday). Fingers crossed this one works better 😃

Advertisement