Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will the Pixel 5a work in Ireland?

• 29-09-2021 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi all, has anyone managed to get their hands on a Pixel 5a and if so, can you confirm if it works in Ireland?

My brother is due back home from the US before Christmas and I am considering asking him to pick up a 5a, as they are not available here. However, I am wondering if there may be issues getting it working on an Irish network or charging the device here, seeing as they are not being sold in Ireland or the UK.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Can't see why now, the day of the GSM networks not being compatable with each other are long gone, about 10 years ago I brought home an iPhone from the States no problem and have never heard of anyone having a problem with smartphones

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Toeuptony

Thanks very much for the reply Clareman.

I thought that there shouldn't be any issues and some online research has suggested that would be the case, but I was ideally looking for some first-hand info to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Does it include the European specific Band 20 (800 MHz) for 4g, I see it can be missing from some phones?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It does, I haven't seen it missing from any of big phone makers for a long time, so much so I haven't bothered looking to be honest, I think some smaller operators might cut down the banks they get on their devices in order to reduce cost, for example if a company only ever plans to sell their phone in County X and that country only has band 12 they'll only get than band to reduce costs, when it's a flagship phone from a large company however this doesn't happen because they are already paying for the technology, in fact I'd imagine it could cost them more to remove it from some lines.

Full spec for the 5a here Google Pixel 5a 5G - Full phone specifications (gsmarena.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Nobody appears to have got WiFi calling working properly in Ireland using a Pixel. WiFi Calling requires Carrier-specific configurations in the firmware. Eir is the only operator in Ireland that fully supports WiFi Calling, including SMS & Roaming. (Vodafone have a limited version without SMS & Roaming). Eir do not offer the Pixel, and it looks like Google haven't included the Eir configs in their firmware. WiFi calling is becoming increasingly important as the nation's housing stock gets upgraded to improved BER ratings, as the insulation that keeps heat in often keeps mobile signals out. WiFi calling also allows free calls when roaming, which is useful when outside the EU, but might become even more important if the Irish operators introduce UK roaming charges (now that the UK operators have introduced EU roaming charges again).

• Advertisement

Insulation does not keep mobile signals out. We don't live in Faraday cages.

I live in an A rated home, I have full 5G signal inside my house and can connect perfectly fine to the WiFi from the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Depends on the insulation used. Foil backed will block signals as plenty of people have found out.

Houses have windows and doors which are not foil backed, ergo, not a Faraday cage.

Advertisement