Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

New boiler for letting property

• 29-09-2021 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭ recode the site

The hot water suddenly went on my letting property, so my agent sent a gas installer to investigate. The old boiler is completely defunct and needs replacement. Going to cost me €2300, spread over payments taken during the following months of rent by my agent.

I look after my own tax affairs, and would assume this would by treated by Revenue as a repairs issue, and from my research this far I am fairly confident this would be the case rather than it being treated as a depreciating capital asset like, eg white goods.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭ Borzoi

Technically the fitting is a repair, the boiler is an asset to be depreciated over 8 years or so.

But personally, I'd just lump it all as a repair

• Registered Users Posts: 8,932 ✭✭✭ recode the site

• Registered Users Posts: 21,594 ✭✭✭✭ ted1

I lumped it in as a repair.

are you sure it’s just the boiler ? Might be worthwhile changing old rads.

It’s definitely the boiler, nothing right with it. They haven’t the heat on yet, but they have no hotel water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭ DaCor

If the property is pre-2006 you may qualify for a SEAI grant

• Advertisement

It’s not a pre 2006 build so definitely doesn’t qualify. It’s a well insulated property too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,594 ✭✭✭✭ ted1

do rentals?. And to qualify you need to jump through hoops that Jack up the price. Better off just going for a basic swap. But as I said check the rads. Might be worth changing them too

Advertisement