Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

golf club banter

• 26-09-2021 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Having joined a golf club this year, im amazed at some of the banter between members around the clubhouse. Its constant slagging and insults, its all ya fat cnut this, ya stupid bollix that. I cant believe people would allow others to talk to them like that. Is this the norm at most clubs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Mates slag each other like that, don’t worry, they won’t say that to you unless they know you. One of the reasons why golf is so enjoyable is that you get to spend a couple of hours with your mates during which you can take the piss, if that is not for you, you will find plenty of members who talk in a more civil way. Everyone to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Not sure it would be done so openly in some clubs - ya fat cnuts is on the extreme side - you would be asked to leave is some of the upper level clubs in Dublin.

There is a sort of banter around golf - I find it a bit - I don't know, tedious , repetitive and the same - the fiver this , the fiver that - I beat you - you are a bollix ..

Was in a group today - was great , real positive energy about it - to be honest, I'm trying to be more positive myself lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I enjoy a bit of slagging mixed in with sincere compliments and lots of non-golf chat too. Some of the golf jokes are brutal though - "didn't have enough cornflakes this morning" and the like.

But playing for fiver or a euro or a pint and engaging in a bit of sledging throughout a round is good craic. I particularly enjoy the back handed compliments. "That's a great drive.... for you." "Oh you're going for it in two - fair play."

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thefloor

Ive no issue with friendly banter and good natured slagging with a bit of intelligence behind it. But when you go into a clubhouse and first thing you hear is one lad roaring across to another "ah f off you f'ing bollox blah blah blah" it just gives a real bad, negative atmosphere to the place .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You need to join Mount Mensa GC. 😏

• Advertisement

Sounds much better than my current club mount densa, where a lot of the members seem to have had full frontal lobotomies

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Hard to beat a bit of craic/betting with the fourball during a round but recently played with an older man who behaved like this; strange insults to the lads he knew better and openly wanted them to hit bad shots when on a good score. Absolute weirdo who thought he was funny. Won't be adding my name to his line again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Surely thats not just "banter" calling out someone on their weight.

Either way no I've never come across anything like that at all. Might make a small joke on a bad shot but would always cheer a good shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Where is this club? it sounds like a certain club out near Lucan.

I best not name it but its not lucan. Tbh now i think of it a few clubs I have played at have had a similiar vibe and tone about them, i dont think its unique to my club. It always seems to be lads in their 50s and 60s who be at that sort of talk, Ive never heard it from any of the younger lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

It might be unique to you if you've encountered it in a few clubs. We all experience things differently. It's possible that it actually is typical banter, but you don't hear it that way. My wife would sometimes think my friends and I are mean to each other when she hears us chat. Whereas in reality it's a form of affection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

There is always a good bit of banter but never heard anyone call someone else a fat cnut!! Would love to know what club it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

you need to come to a boards society night out!!! :)

Advertisement