Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

How is it a surprise cameo if they tell us its happening?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a fairly lazy choice to aim for a Hollywood name to headline the cast (only lazier had they booked Ryan Reynolds or The Rock), but Pratt has a lot of comedy in his CV so if else should avoid the issue of am A Lister bring a rubbish voice actor.

That said, hearing Chris Pratt coming out of the mouth of Mario, and not Martinet, will be very weird and a bit jarring.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Animation is definitely a better way to go than live action, but Chris Pratt as Mario feels a bit too much like someone just went "we want the Lego Movie but with Mario". Still, I guess it depends on how good the script is - if they hadn't already done the Lego Movie I'd be thinking that Lord & Miller would be a good choice.

You’d think they have got some Italian americans to do mario and luigi!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Super Mario Odyssey and Galaxy will leave this in their dust trails. I bet this is bland and won't even compare artistically to a 2007 Wii game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've never been more stoked to see a trailer for something I dread.

I wonder if this will be another Sonic situation and hasty redo, or - more apt - another Paddington scenario (when original voice Colin Firth was replaced with Ben Wishaw).

Could this movie kill Mario ?

I mean, could it be so bad that Sonic will regain his crown ?

This could be a very risky move for Nintendo.

SNES Vs Megadrive all over again.

😁

Kill Mario? No chance; if the Bob Hoskins film couldn't do it, this one wont. The reaction to the trailer will tell everything about this films next steps. Loud enough cries and they might recast hastily

Princess Peach won't be a harmless damsel in distress in this movie.

I'm expecting a lot of Yoshi laying eggs gags.

• Advertisement

Tomorrow at 9pm for the trailer it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Am I the only one who thought it was going to be live action🤨

I like it though. It will clean up at the box office

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭winstonia

Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

The animation looks gorgeous.

Do you yield… 😂

I laughed at the Bowser stuff, can't deny it was stupid humour in the best fashion

Curious how little Mario was in a Super Mario trailer though. Like they wanted to minimise the Pratt effect lol

His voice was the jarring bit for me. He's just a bad choice for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Sparko

Ever since I saw Linda Belcher was trending on Twitter a few days ago, this is all I can think of now when I see this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Advertisement

It looks all right, though not a great fan of that style of comedy where the character just explains the joke.

Also, I await the Princess Peach backlash from the Enrageratti.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have enjoyed all the Despicable Me films from Illumination, and I just noticed that some of the team behind Teen Titans Go! are directing this, which helps (TTG! is thoroughly daft in a way that I really enjoy). So that's positive. I'm indifferent at best to Pratt, though, so will be waiting on reviews before I go see this.

Mushroom kingdom, here we come.

Nope, the voices just aren't clicking with me; Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong is also a weird choice beyond "hire Seth Rogan for funny things"

its like the inverse of Sonic. Voice worked, CG didn’t.

Too late now to switch out the voices. Jack Black as Bowser sounds like it might work, but yeah, Chris Pratt and Seth Rogan just sound weird.

Im just going to watch the Italian version with subs 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Aladdin is a better film than anything Illumination has made, but I still blame that film for heralding in the era of A-list celebrity voice actors dominating in American animation. You can draw a direct line from Robin Williams as Genie to the Dreamworks / Illumination model - Shrek set the formula in stone - where virtually all major animated characters need to be 'known' stars rather than a lower-profile voice actor who might be better suited to the role. Pixar very occasionally sidesteps that particular trend (or at least is willing to cast some lesser-known actors in lead roles) but is by no means immune to it.

We have the official poster for The Super Mario Bros. Movie and it looks fantastic.

• Advertisement

Great new Bowser poster.

Advertisement