Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new National Development Plan 2021-2030

Options
  • 23-09-2021 7:28pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Government will shortly publish a new and improved National Development Plan upto 2030. We've had 2 of these since 2015, with varying results, which I will post here and then discussion and speculation regarding the new one can follow.

The main talking points for the new NDP are:

* An increase in the overall money available - how much of this is for roads?

* The large amount of projects not completed from previous NDPs

* The role of the Green Party in deciding what goes in this

* The planning process and the continued stonewalling of road schemes and infrastructure in general.

The last NDP (2018-2027) included allocations for the following to proceed to construction:

1. N2 Slane bypass (current status: in planning, to be sent to ABP in 2022)

2. N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin (opened September 2021)

3. N5 Westport-Turlough (under construction, complete 2022)

4. N5 Ballaghaderreen-Scramoge (construction to commence shortly)

5. M6 Galway City Ring Road (stuck in the planning system since 2018)

6. M7 Naas/Newbridge bypass upgrade (complete 2020)

7. N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange (under construction, 2024 opening)

8. N11 upgrade Phase 1 Kilmacanogue (under construction)

9. M11 Gorey-Enniscorthy (complete 2019)

10. M20 Cork-Limerick (route selection)

11. N72 Mallow Relief Road (preferred route selected)

12. M21 Limerick-Adare-Foynes (stuck in planning since 2019)

13. N22 Macroom-Baile Bhuirne (under construction, 2023 opening)

14. N25 New Ross (opened 2020)

15. M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy (advance works, 2024 start)

16. N52 Ardee bypass (planning delays, 2023 start)

17. N56 Mountcharles-Inver (opened 2021)

18. N56 Dungloe-Glenties (Phase 1-3 complete, Phase 4/5A under construction, Phase 5B to proceed to tender)

19. N59 Westport-Mulranny (partially under construction)

20. N59 Moycullen bypass (tender ongoing, construction to commence later this year)

21. N69 Listowel bypass (tender ongoing)

22. N86 Tralee-Dingle (Phase 1 complete, Phase 2 to procure shortly, remaining 18km pending)

So of those 22 schemes, there's 5 open to traffic, 7 under construction (including 2 phased schemes), 2 at tender, 2 at advance works (including N86 phased), 3 in the planning process, 1 at design and 2 at route selection.

In addition to this, the NDP provided for 23 schemes to get to planning approval stage:

1. N2 Ardee-Castleblayney (design)

2. N2 Rath Roundabout-Kilmoon Cross (design)

3. N2 Clontibret-A5 (design)

4. N3 Clonee-M50 (design)

5. N3 Virginia bypass (route selection)

6. N4 Mullingar-Longford (route selection)

7. N4 Carrick on Shannon-Dromod (route selection)

8. M4 Maynooth-Leixlip (options selection)

9. N11/N25 Oilgate-Rosslare Harbour (design)

10. N11/M11 J4-J14 improvement (route selection)

11. Donegal TEN-T (N13 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass, N14 Letterkenny-Lifford, N13/N56 Letterkenny improvements) (ABP imminent)

12. N17 Knock-Collooney (route selection)

13. N21 Abbeyfeale (route selection)

14. N21 Newcastlewest (route selection)

15. N22 Killarney-Farranfore (route selection)

16. N24 Cahir-Waterford (route selection)

17. N24 Limerick Junction-Cahir (route selection)

18. N25 Waterford-Glenmore (design)

19. N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton (design)

20. N52 Tullamore-Kilbeggan (route selection)

21. Dublin Port South Access (?)

Final routes selected for 10 of these by my count. 0 gone to ABP.

This means of the entire lot of schemes currently active (40), 7 are under construction, 2 are at tender, 2 are at advance works, 3 are at ABP, 11 are at design and 15 are still not in final route selection.

TII has also asked for a further 10 projects to be included in the new NDP (not yet published which these are), and four programmes of works on national secondaries (again, no details).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

In reality, I reckon just about everything will be pushed out by several years to pay for COVID debt. A few per year might get through, cheap stuff, but I dunno about anything more. Will be interesting to see what gets through.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I actually think the some of the big ticket roads like the M20 and M28 will be OK because they're quite a few years from construction anyway and the M21 will be done to bypass Adare before the Ryder Cup in 2027.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

More importantly, I should have also included the schemes which were considered for inclusion in the last plan but ultimately omitted:

M1 Balbriggan-Lissenhall

N2 Ashbourne-Slane

N2 Slane-Collon

N3 Cavan South-Belturbet

M4 Maynooth-Kilcock

N5 Turlough-Bohola

M7 Monasterevin-Newbridge

N13 Letterkenny-Stranorlar

N13 Manorcunningham-Bridgend

N15 Sligo-Cliffony

N17 Tuam-Claremorris

N21 Abbeyfeale-Rathkeale

N22 UCC-Carrigrohane

N22 Macroom-Ovens

N24 Limerick-Caherconlish

N25 Waterford-Dungarvan

N25 Midleton-Youghal

N26 Ballina-Bohola

N27 Cork Airport-N40

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Of the above list not included in the previous NDP, I would say very little of it is worthy of inclusion now. N22 Macroom-Ovens, N21 Abbeyfeale-Rathkeale and N5 Turlough-Bohola (which I assume would be a relatively cheap mix of online upgrade and offline sections) should certainly be added but everything else can wait.

Abbeyfeale to Rathkeale has been superceded by the two bypass schemes for Abbeyfeale and Newcastlewest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It was mainly to focus on the parts that aren’t being included in those 2, namely Coolanoran to the M21 and Barnagh to Mountmahon. Depends on how those 2 bypass schemes work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A lot of future schemes will likely just involve realignments of bad bends, widening of carriageways etc, e.g. rather than a whole realignment of the N26, it will likely just be widened a few extra kilometres south of Ballina, plus the orbital bypass of the town, maybe remove some bad bends north of Foxford, and that'll be it. I do think we're reaching a point where laying more tarmac is harder to justify.

I think the following projects are essential & need to progress now rather than languishing in planning:

N17 through Sligo, M20, M21, Slane bypass, Castlemartyr & Killeagh bypasses, Donegal N13/14/15 triangle, N24 (at the very least, realignment of Tipp to Cahir and full bypass of Tipperary Town, bypasses of Carrick-On-Shannon, Galway, Thurles (I don't know how it has been overlooked for so long), Ballina and Virginia.

Anything that's nearing the end of the planning stages or at tender is de facto past all the legal hurdles so they'll go ahead.

I think the focus for the future should transition to low risk, high impact improvements at specific points such as the bypasses I mentioned above and others on say the N71 and N52, realigning bad stretches such as what's happening on the N86 and N60, perhaps schemes long mothballed such as a bypass of Crossmolina, rather than the EIA nightmare that would be a larger upgrade of the N59 there, as examples. Simple measures such as adding more turning filter lanes would do wonders to improve safety and efficiency on these national secondary routes.

I just cant see any justification for some of the proposed projects in the old plan. Another upgrade of the M7 from Newbridge to Monasterevin? Bonkers. Provide more trains along that route. Even the M4 to Longford, although I'd directly benefit from using it, in the greater scheme of things it's not a chronically bad route and again, simply adding a wider hard shoulder, filter lanes and minor improvements would drastically improve it.

There are a number of projects in Munster in particular that really need to accelerate now but I think it's past time to get serious about a national modal shift from cars, provide cycling and walking infrastructure and make public transport, urban and intercity rail actually work in Ireland based on European norms.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neiljung

What was the proposal for N22 UCC-Carrigrohane about?

The sections of road in that list are stretches of the existing network that fit the profile for improvement. My guess there is that the replacement for that stretch would be the N40 North Ring Road West, the UCC-Carrigrohane section being heavily trafficed by traffic from that part of the city heading to the N20.

• Advertisement

New NDP being published Monday in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Typical Green Party bullshit. This country stopped building bypasses in the 00s because they are a waste of time and do little for long distance traffic as traffic gets snarled up at the roundabouts on either end instead which become development magnets. Strong bang of ideological nonsense that they are famous for in this one.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ryans-bypasses-will-breathe-life-into-towns-but-theyre-taking-a-toll-on-motorway-plans-40899060.html

Sounds like good news. New road projects, €165bn spend overall, and strong vocal pushback against attempts to cancel investment in roads.

From one senator (Lisa Chambers): “Roads are the only show in town for this particular part of the country. I think it’s premature to say we’re going to stop building roads. If the mode of transport is clean, roads aren’t the problem. The Greens’ roads argument needs to be reconsidered in the light of infrastructure deficiencies in the rest of Ireland.” Lots of talk from other politicians along these lines.

All politics, of course, but expectations are being deliberately raised. Looking forward to seeing what comes out on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Article today in the post the roads projects are the big winner havent got the physcial paper yet. Dose anyone know which projects i presume M20 is No.1

https://www.businesspost.ie/infrastructure/tensions-mount-as-government-parties-split-over-road-projects-in-eur165bn-ndp-099a3954

From what I can understand (I’ve read the article above but it pretty much reaffirms what was said in other papers yesterday - Eamon Ryan’s grand plan to rip up the roads plan and replace it with Mickey Mouse 90s style bypasses was the main point of contention this week and the other two Government parties won out):

* All projects in the previous NDP made it in

* It’s very likely that the additional 10 projects TII requested made it in

* The actual delivery of these projects is up in the air due to: the 2:1 ratio of PT:roads spending, stonewalling attempts by the Minister, reallocation of funds to active transport and something to do with the Minister being focused on solving the climate crisis by stopping road building in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

More politics. While the Dublin Metro and the various BusConnects projects should comfortably soak up billions of euro between them, generating plenty of spending room under the new 2:1 ratio, we will need to see plenty of ongoing political pressure to ensure the various long-needed roads projects are finally delivered, including forcing non-Green parties to commit to various road projects at the next election.

If the artificial 2:1 ratio prevents needed projects being delivered, it should be scrapped. Lives and prosperity come before arbitrary targets which are of little value when no other country is meeting them. Separately, if any road project is classified as "climate-negative", it should be confirmed that the assessment took into account that electric vehicles will soon be the standard way of driving. I imagine any Green-dictated policy won't have allowed that. Thinking that roads = carbon emissions is 20th century thinking, and cannot be allowed to influence planning in an era when EVs will soon be the default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The 2:1 ratio is fair - the bulk of the big road improvements are behind us (M20 is likely to be the last inter-urban motorway project): the remaining schemes will be in the €200~500 million range, not the €1 billion of M20. Meanwhile, we really need to spend on rail and bus. Limerick-Galway was a lesson in what happens if you do a cheapest-possible project: a rail line that’s slower than driving. The whole point of that link was that it would eventually continue to Sligo and even up to Northern Ireland, creating a western rail spine to link Cork, Limerick, Galway and Sligo. Basically, I wanted to see this rail line done properly for the same reason I want M20 to be built.

There’s a hidden positive to this ratio though - it actually eases the opposition to large road projects, because they will be matched by much larger public transport investments. Another good point is that it stops public transport and roads being seen as mutually exclusive options: roads aren’t “stealing” from public transport budgets. There are even quite a few road improvement projects that could be enabled by this funding rule: an urban distributor road, with cycleways, dedicated bus-lanes and new higher-frequency bus services will meet that 2:1 spend, and improve traffic conditions for people who genuinely have no other option but to use a private car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Still no mention of the Navan Bypass, not sure if thats NDP level or County Council level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

RTE News had the following headline figures

The NDP will commit to €35bn in spending on transport up to 2030. This is likely to include €12bn for public transport, €6bn on roads, €4bn on walking and cycling infrastructure and €13bn on maintenance.

€6bn should ensure that a lot of road projects don’t get past the starting line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

The Greens look to have successfully killed off almost all road projects. Yes there is a long list of roads but the government is being so non committal on what will actually be built we can take it that little or nothing will actually be built.

All I see in this NDP is all the projects from the last NDP with some additional layers of bureaucratic bullshit to slow them down. As if there wasn’t enough speed bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

The Greens are on the News at One trumpeting a Limerick to Shannon Airport Rail link. One of the few motorway routes in Rural Ireland getting hundreds of million spent on a Rail alternative???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is nothing other than a repackaging and reannouncement of the same projects that have been going on for years. Except this time it's even less clear what the timelines and budget being allocated to these are. Massively disappointing.

Don't be getting your knickers in a twist, that's never going to be built. It didn't get past a CBA the last time it was mooted and it's just as unviable now. You also seem to be forgetting that very little of whats in the NDP will be anywhere near construction by the time of the next election. An election that is likely to wipe the Greens out again.

This is a welcome addition to cross border connectivity & public transport & is unquestionably viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

• Advertisement

Disappointing plan in the end. Nothing really new except the asterisk at the end of every project saying "may not actually be built."

It feels like the era of serious bold infrastructure investments of any kind in this country is long behind us, and what we have now is as good as it gets. It is hard to see many projects meeting the ever-higher barriers erected to oppose development in Ireland, and these barriers will presumably only continue to worsen in years to come. Even Green pet projects like the Metro have become effectively undeliverable.

Advertisement