Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase Ewe body condition score prior to going to ram

Options
  • 22-09-2021 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Have tried to check my couple of ewes for BCS and from my very limited knowledge/experience i think 2 ewes are fairly thin so i have separated them from the others. I am hoping to borrow a ram and put them to the ram in 6 weeks. To improve there condition i think in 6 weeks i think i will need to supplement them with some type of nuts, what would be best and in what quantities

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I would say worm them, give them a Bolus and put them on good grass for the 6 weeks if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I had a discussion group meeting on our farm last week. I said I'd bring in a number of ewes and we'd condition score them and take blood samples from them to check mineral status.

Irrespective of the ewe's condition I sampled eight ewes. Got the results back for selenium this morning. The lower level for selenium is 270 and these ranged from 224 at the highest level down to 79 at the lowest. We do farm on a tract of land on the Antrim plateau that is very low in selenium so a bolus is going in on Saturday. It's been 3 years since I last checked bloods for mineral status although I bolused them every year. Just helps to know what is going on with them and if I really did need to bolus them. I think the answer is Yes!

Pulled off about 30 onto better grass that were in around 2 BCS. I noted the tag numbers of those and said I'd check their numbers at scanning and lambing to see what litter size they had in contrast to those in better BCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Thanks for the replies. would i be as well give a fluke and worm does, i have wet enough ground. What bolus is best to give

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We use animax here, seems to be alright, good crops and good lively lambs. W egive it pre mating and pre lambing.

Teagasc claim that ewes take 10 weeks on good grass to increase their bady condition score by one so ewes after weaning probably need to increase by one score

Iknow that here they need to increase by one score after weaning, you need them near BCS 4 for mating

I don't agree with prolonged starving of weaned ewes.

Advertisement