Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 Internal SSD

Options
  • 22-09-2021 10:20am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Where are folks getting their internal PS5 internal SSD's from now that we can install them ourselves? Any particular SSD's you're using or recommending.

Latest from the tech news sites is that SSD's with slower speeds are working fine too with the console.

Comments

I would caution anyone against buying an SSD slower than the recommended 5500MB/s+, regardless of what tech news sites are saying. The launch games barely tap into the potential of the SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Yes, I agree. Some random site saying "Rift apart plays fine on slow M2 disk" is meaningless. Let's see how it handles the next Naught Dog game.

Sony have given plenty of detail on which drives are supported and make sure not to gloss over the heatsink requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Is this drive worth getting am going to America next week so was going to pick some up.. Or does anyone have any other suggestions? This seems to be the best saving compared to irish prices..

https://www.target.com/p/xpg-gammix-s70-2tb-m-2-2280-nvme-3d-nand-gen4-gaming-internal-ssd-ps5-compatible/-/A-82220749#lnk=sametab

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I put in an extra 1 TB and it is a big improvement. I've not had to delete anything and updates always have room to install now. So I'd definitely recommend it. 2tb does give you a decent amount of room.

I do have a 2TB external SSD too for just storing games but have relied less on it since I stuck in the internal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I've had this post up a while now but there hasn't been anyone sharing details of where they are getting their internal SSD's from within the EU. What does seem to be available in the EU is ridiculously overpriced. Looks like I will have to get family in Canada to get me one. ARGH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Plenty on Amazon and they ship to Ireland. Why would you bother and hassle of importing from Canada??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Amazon UK has customs and duty pushing the price right up. I can get a 1tb Seagate SSD with heatsink and 7000ms speed for €160 on Amazon.ca

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Get it while it’s hot :) The 30% will be deducted at checkout.

Ordered one there and it’s €160 including customs (some of which could well be deposited back into your account if you’re not charged the full amount).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I take it everyone is waiting til their PS5 is out of warranty to install these?

No, why would you wait? Upgraded mine with an extra 1tb. Makes a world of difference. Haven't had to uninstall anything to do updates since.

• Advertisement

I'd be tempted but normally opening any new machine will invalidate the guarantee on it.

And reading about PS5 issues, I wouldn't want to be changing it while its in its guarantee period, in case they use it as an excuse not to exchange it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

No. Why would you? It doesn’t invalidate the warranty.

That would be great....but do Sony state that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The process is absolutely fine. Did it the other day. A bit more involved than plug and play… but certainly not something you’d be concerned about voiding your warranty over.

They literally have an instructional video showing you how to do it.

Cheers all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Got the 1 TB XPG SSD and installed it there. Transferred some games from the internal drive to it, and it was blazingly fast. Nice that the heatsink was included as well. Nice to have the extra storage.

Looks like Sony went for the best option, the storage prices has come down far faster then the Xbox storage expansion has.

For anybody that got the S70 blade, what's the heatsink like? I'm seeing some comments online that it's very flimsy and better off getting the Sabrent Heatsink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I went with the s70 blade and used its heatsink rather than the one I bought from amazon ages ago..

I only seem to hear noise when games are actually installing but I think that was the case for the console storage anyways...

ended up ordering one off Amazon.de, not in stock yet. The Sabrient heatsink is made specifically for the PS5 and replaces the SSD cover . Seen good reviews all round for it

ended up not getting the sabrent as was not showing any stock update for a number of days. Bought this off Amazon

spent probably an hour today trying to install but one side was always too high meaning I couldn't put PS5 SSD cover back on. So ended up just using the heatsink that came with the XPG S70 Blade all along. The thermal pads were big long strips when probably would have been better with square ones like this

The ones I got in box

Would it be worth changing out the drive BEFORE the PS5 is booted up and loaded with games at Xmas?

Save the hassle of having to reload games etc maybe in 6 months time?

Edit: regarding the original one you'd be taking out, would there be any use for it? Are there any enclosures you can buy to turn it into portable HDD.

Im confused. You can't remove the SSD that comes with the console you can add another one, that's all. I was able to transfer 90gb of games from the console to the new SSD in less than a minute. Transferring between console and external for same size would take at least 10 to 15 minutes

Now I'm confused.

I posted on here and I thought I was told it was an easy job to do.

?????

Its very easy to install another SSD, you can't take out the built in one at all. That's what it was sounding like to me in your previous post

Ah, so you can ADD another, but you can't take out the original, factory fitted one?

Yes the console SSD is part of the inners of the thing so you’d have a serious job trying to remove it :) It’s all about adding storage. It’s a pretty handy job so I wouldn’t worry too much about installing it in advance of Christmas. Plenty of room internally to download a few big games to start.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the confusion folks, I thought it was a "slip out the original and stick in a bigger one" job.

What is currently the best deals for most compatible drives?

Does the 2nd in any way have to be compatible with the 1st? Apologies if this is a silly question, but in the past I know from replacing RAM that there was clock speeds, etc that had to match.

Advertisement