Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DPF question

Options
  • 21-09-2021 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

hi folks,will be getting a 2016 toyota rav4 2 lt diesel soon,just a question about the dpf filter,if the dashboard light comes on,is that a warning to clean it (take it for a long drive)or is it shagged and will need replacing,new to diesels,thanks

Comments

It is impossible to say the DPF is gone or just need a regeneration. Do not buy the car without knowing exactly the problem. Just it can be expensive mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

a lot of DPF problems seem to relate to lack of driving at sufficient speed for the system to self clean. A longish drive at sufficient revs might clear it or you could bring it to a garage who can hook it up to a computer and do what they call a forced regeneration. This worked for my last car (2016 CRV) but I also had to get a new sensor fitted as the fault came back. Cost about €300 all in but a new dpf is a lot more. I suggest you bring it to a good garage and get them to check it out but more important do you really need a diesel -plenty o threads on here with good info.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your worried about the DPF giving trouble from your driving style or having to go out of your way to drive it properly then a diesel is probably not the best choice of car for you.

Advertisement