Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Type 2 (charger) to type 1 (car) adapter

• 20-09-2021 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ tobottherobot

Hi all

I bought an 32A adapter from aliexpress to charge my gen 1 leaf from our type 2 tethered charger (Garo). And after waiting 3 months, it looks like I got the wrong one 🤦🏻‍♂️

It seems like the terminals on the adapter are too far inside the head to connect with my tethered cable and so it won’t charge my leaf.

Did I get the wrong one / is there anything I can do to make it work?? This is the one here:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKhGJb1

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭ Sabre Man

Looks like you've got a cable for use in North America. Can you return it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ zilog_jones

That just looks like a normal Type 1 to Type 2 cable, it'll connect to a Type 2 socket (e.g. a standard public charger) but not to a tethered cable.

I think you need something like this:

Not a recommendation of that seller, just the first Google result I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327

That's (what you initially posted) a type2 to type2 cable. You need a type1 j1172 cable to type 2 mennekes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ zilog_jones

I think the only picture of the new cable is the first picture - they didn't show the Type 1 end.

The second picture suggests they have a Type 2 to Type 2 cable (note the scratches, it's not new) - so either their charging point isn't tethered as suggested (if that's what's coming out of it), or this is some other cable unrelated to the topic? I'm confused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ kanuseeme

I have seen one type 2 cable with a shortened or a section cut off the plug on it, it allowed the user to connect it to another type 2 cable and gain an extra few meters of cable length. it was cut to allow the pins to make contact .

If you compare your Chinese purchase to a original type 2, you might notice the black plastic is shorter on the Chinese one.

Have you tried to use it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ tobottherobot

Hi all

Thanks for all the posts so far. In hindsight, my post was confusing - the image of the type 2 + type 2 is the end of the adapter and the end of the tethered lead. The actual lead I have is the J1172/mennekes.

I have heard about this and I believe you are right - the end of the type 2 on the adapter seems far too long. I cant return the cable to maybe I'll try this. I know adapters are a bit of a grey area for safety reasons (as they can be disconnected under full load) though.

Has anyone any experience doing that? I'd prefer to avoid getting a second charger - seems a bit overkill as I only charge the leaf twice per week on average (Niro Phev uses it the other days)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1

I had our L30 for around 6 months using a Type2 to Type1 adapter as I put in a tethered Type2 Charge Point. It became boresome and from memory the cable did not "lock" once in use i.e. anyone could just disconnect the adapter and swipe it.

Advertisement