Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non compete agreement in contract?

Options
  • 20-09-2021 2:17pm

Started working in hospitality a while ago, my contract has a non compete clause baring me from working for others in the same industry for a period of 12 months after I leave the current company.

I'm just curious how common is this type of clause is especially in the hospitality industry and more importantly how enforceable it is especially when we are talking about low skill minimum wage employees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It's common in a lot of jobs but I've never seen it in the hospitality sector - it does look really strange tbh. If you were in Senior Management perhaps I could see that it would be important, but you've indicated you're not, so I'm struggling to see why this is necessary. It's technically enforceable, but I'd wonder would someone in the hospitality sector go to the trouble and expense to take action on this.

Talk to your colleagues, see what they say. Do you have a union or a representative body you can talk to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Ive seen it before. It's usually not enforced, and is mostly there to keep people from spreading company secrets if poached or if there is a bad leaving dynamic... eg: stealing client details/names/price list.

It can be a little concerning, but unless you are actually planning to cause damage to the company. They would never bother with the expense of enforcing it legally.. (unless you are stealing secrets/info and using it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Its in no way enforceable and no company would waste the time and cost in chasing it (unless it was very specific skills or knowledge which would result in market share shifts).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Completely unenforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Common in commercially sensitive roles but unless you're sharing confidentiality information you'll be fine. If they do want to enforce it, demand pay for 12 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement