Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rearranging the deckchairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I never liked Oulwans & Oulfellas as a name for this forum. Silver surfers? Bit twee maybe. Hmmm. Any better suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Maybe this question should be on the 'Rock On' thread. I suggested....."Last Of The Summer Whine".....a few years ago, but it didn't get any votes then either! Himself suggests 'Oul Sods and Soddettes', but he would, wouldn't he?!! How about 'Mature Reflections'?

Well, that was weird. I selected three comments, the two above plus my own reply, and was informed that I had selected two comments and where would I like to start a new thread with them. No opportunity to merge with another thread, and no idea why the third post (which I then deleted) was ignored.

I did observe in that third comment that you were quite correct JB and I was way off topic with my musings, so here they are if anyone wants to offer ideas.

(I am currently reading an ersatz Jane Austin novel and it is influencing my writing style 😁.)

Perhaps Miss Austin may inspire you to think of a new title for the asylum Looksee!!

No more suggestions? Honestly, are there no O & O's around anymore? Do they prefer to be with the young wans now? Traitors!!

• Advertisement

I dunno JB, maybe they can't find us. The quiz used keep the place ticking over a bit but even that's gone quiet.

May be its the changeover on the site. I regret posting in other forums because I can't seem to be able to unsubscribe from them and I'm so cheesed off with it now. I really think it should go back to the way it was. 'Rearranging the deckchairs' has wrecked the site, and the knock on effect is that we're losing people.

You can unfollow by unclicking the bell icon (on desktop), I just tried with one of my followed forums, then refreshed the page and it was gone. There was a stage when you couldn't unfollow a forum but it has been fixed.

Bookmarks on the other hand, I have no idea what they are at. I have had threads bookmarked on me that I know I didn't, all sorts of random stuff seems to get into that section.

I'm a bit fed up with it myself, I don't feel as though I can 'see' the site, I just limp around the few familiar sections that I have followed or bookmarked (or contributed to, regardless of whether I have bookmarked it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

O&O is fine as a title. Old Sod, Silver surfers etc are a bit twee. Summer Whine is a stereotype of grumpy old age that we shouldn't subscribe to.

"olwans" is almost a term of endearment.

There's plenty of older posters on many threads. It's not being down with the kids but just taking part in general discussions or hobby related forums.

I'd answer the quiz questions but can never think if a decent question to as in return - In always was decent at table quizzes but would be desperate at setting one.

There are no bells on the forums I want to unsubscribe from unfortunately, only the little tag bookmarky thingy. Maybe they haven't got round to putting the bells everywhere yet. I hadn't posted in them I was just wanting to follow the conversation but after a while decided to leave, but now can't. Ah well.

• Advertisement

The bell is for following a forum, the little banner is for following a thread.

And re-clicking the banner, I'm still subscribed. Ah sure what can ya do? Wait and see I s'pose. Gosh I miss Rube, he'd have had a good answer to Rearranging the Deckchairs. 🙁

I am quite sure that I have been getting bookmarks when I haven't asked for them, some aspects of the site are a bit gaslighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

" The ultimate Trans-Age Forum " or " Oldwans and New Fella's or "New wans and n Old fella's " or " We don't give a feck about age because we have seen it and done it all before! "

That's a good one Red Hare "Seen it, Done it, Bought the Tee-shirt"!!! 🙂

Another suggestion, Grey and Proud! Any takers for that?

Lol, JB - though I should add that at mid 70s I am only slightly grey, unlike my children who inherited their father's hair and are all heading greywards much more noticeably!

Well, we could go for Greyish and Proud then!!! 🤣 But I suppose those that lack the aforesaid curls might be offended!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Though my pate is as shiny as a tonsured monks my beard has greyish curls.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Goodness! that's almost poetic 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/Bows

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

How bout "50 shade3s of Grey n' proud!

I'm reckoning you are a Ginger Nut like myself ! Or a Blonde maybe?

No, a very average brown, used be quite dark brown but now a bit lighter.

I had another thought.......Rock & Roll Kids!! Heard the song recently and love it.

Elder- Friendly computer and technology discussions

How's about Seniors Sharing? Will we ever get anywhere with these suggestions, or is it just keeping our minds active, like doing Sudoku or a crossword puzzle?

• Advertisement

Just did a crossword, one of the Guardian online quick crosswords which took two of us best part of an hour to complete - apparently people do these in 10 minutes on the London Underground, or while eating a boiled egg. We were satisfied with our efforts though.

Advertisement