Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

‘I spent two hours crying’

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Not a big fan of the name change myself tbh. It's kind've like how the 3Arena was called the Point Theatre but then it changed to O2 Arena and now it's 3Arena. There is something less appealing in the saying 3Olmypia/3Arena compared to just The Olympia/The Point. That being said, I know why they did it, but I'll still be calling them by their old names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

2 Hours crying, just out of interest, how many tissues would you go through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

it ll probably be always called the Olympia by the general public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Because when events are advertised it’s the 3 arena , Aviva etc so thats what people say. Landsdown rd was demolished, it’s gone. The stadium there now is the Aviva. I still call the 3arena The Point but younger people don’t.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

When I see these "rebrandings", I'm always reminded of this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The sponsorship name change that I really dislike is the Bord Gáis Energy Theatre.

The Grand Canal Theatre had a timeless quality about it. The Bord Gáis Energy Theatre is a really awkward unwieldy name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Plus the fact that in a number of years when the existing deals expire, they could easily be renamed to something else../.:

Six Nations: Ireland v England live from the Zurich stadium

go see the Lion King at the Electric Ireland Theatre

is anyone going to see the Foo Fighters in the Nissan Point Theatre??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wouldn't go to see the Foo Fighters in my Living Room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It only opened in 2010 and it's been sponsored for longer than it had its original name (since 2012)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In Australia, sports stadiums charge large amounts for naming rights, and there seems to be a lot of appetite from sponsors. There's a 55,000-seat stadium in Melbourne that opened in 2000 which has successively been known as the Colonial Stadium (for the Colonial State Bank); the Telstra Dome (for a phone company); Etihad Stadium (for the airline); and Marvel Stadium (for the Walt Disney Company).

But the national broadcaster, which is government-owned and funded and is forbidden from carrying advertising, won't use sponsor's names. They call this stadium Docklands Stadium, which is the name it had while under construction in 1997-2000. And similarly for other public venues that have sold naming rights to commercial sponsors; the ABC just ignores the transaction and uses the original name of the venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

or the Principality Stadium in Wales, I'll never call that anything but the Millennium Stadium

The free-market in all its glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People getting awfully upset over adding the number 3 to the start of the name... And they even left the historic part alone. I don't get the outrage. Then again, I don't go there anyway so no skin off my nose, but Ireland has been selling naming rights for years now, as many have shown above. Get used to it. Soon enough there will be a company selling ads on your car. And people will do it, because they will get paid to do it and it costs them nothing. I think Facebook has copyrighted or something similar for ads in VR. I heard Sony was looking at that idea too. Ads are already a massive part of our lives, so it's only natural it's going to continue to take over everything.

Could be worse, they could have renamed it something completely different and people would still be upset. Can't please everyone. Why bother trying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A few years ago I did an experiment on the Soccer board here.

I searched in Soccer for both Aviva and Lansdowne (with different spellings) since the time the Aviva deal was announced, just to see which was used the most.

And regardless of people's protestations that they would never called it that, Aviva appeared more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's ads on almost everything that's not state owned or owned by the church. 90 per cent of websites are paid for by ads . If a name change helps it to survive I have no problem with it.we have seen many arts venues closed due to rising rents or the building is sold. Theatres are part of our culture. Pubs and theatres and museums attract tourists. People don't go to Dublin to visit Starbucks. I think Facebook has designed ads to be shown in some Vr games as it owns a Vr headset company. I'm suprised there's not more ads in games since games are not HD open world it would be easy to put ads on buildings eg new York spiderman on ps5

You might not notice it but company's pay for products to be used in popular TV shows maybe the GAA does not sell naming rights since it can afford to as it gets high ticket revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I think I am going to become rich and successful, purely for the purposes of buying some venue, so that I can rename it and send a load of people who have not set foot in the venue in years into a state of righteous indignation.

I mean, 'The Olympia' is not even some meaningful and original name - they just copied the name off another more famous theatre when they were last carrying out a rebranding exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

The Gaa does sell naming rights,about half the County grounds are named,some are on their 2nd sponsor already.Evelerys McHale Park just changed to Hastings Insurance McHale Park a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I imagine her sitting there with a stopwatch.

'Wah, sob, boo hoo... oh. Two hours are up. Now I can go to the media.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Even I thought no one would refer to the Grand Canal theatre as the Bord Gais theatre when BG bought the sponsorship but everyone does now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

When Harold Pinter wanted to get the London Comedy Theatre renamed as the Harold Pinter Theatre, Tom Stoppard said "Why doesn't he just change his name to Harold Comedy?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Advertisement