Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRV system

• 16-09-2021 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I've built a rather overdone garage / workshop. It's well insulated, has underfloor heating (heat pump) and plywood ceiling with insulation in the attic. I've sealed most of the ceiling joins, have an insulated garage door and only have two small windows so it's pretty well sealed. The underfloor heating kicked off for a while when it was first commissioned but has stayed off since. It's still around 20C just from solar heating and the tail end of the concrete curing.

Which is why I'm now installing at an HRV system. The humidity the other day had gotten to 75% in the space so clearly that's a sign ventilation is needed. I got a Vent-Axia HR100R. It's a bit undersized - it's for a 40m2 area and this is a 60m2 area. However it's all one single room and a third of it is my car.

I have two questions:

First, In doing a table top test of the unit I notice the extract airflow seems way faster than the air supply air flow. Is this normal? I have an anemometer on order, but just feeling it with my hand it's clear the extract is blowing out more air than the air supply. My theory is that normally, as in not on my table top, it has to push warmer, less dense air while the air supply is pushing denser, colder air?

Second, for the layout of the two registers, I put the exhaust port over my PV inverter. Heat kind of builds up in that corner and I'd rather keep it cooler. The air supply register is in the opposite corner of the workshop area. Not the garage as a whole, just the part where I'd generally be. Does that sound reasonable?

Advertisement