Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partition wall between house extension and garage

Options
  • 15-09-2021 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Looking at buying a house, it has been extended into the garage and it looks well in the house. But when the garage door is opened the wall between the garage and the house is made of wood rather than concrete blocks. The estate agent says that it is a partition wall and not a problem. I am just wondering if it is normal to extend into the garage and use a partition wall rather than concrete? Could it be fixed easily if needed? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Has the garage been converted or is it still a garage?

you said the house is extended into but then say the garage doors are still in place.

timber wall can achieve the required fire separation if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I'm presuming mean the door from the house into the garage rather than the actual garage door, in that case it's fine.

If the space is still used as a garage it will need a fire door as well as having the wall fire rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tweenie

The garage was originally the length of the house. It has now been divided in two. The front part is still a garage with an up and over metal door. Then other half has been converted into a bathroom. There is no access to the bathroom from the garage. In the house there is a door off the hall into the bathroom. The bathroom is tiled and it looks well. When the estate agent opened the garage I saw what looked like a wooden wall. I asked the estate agent and he said it was a partition wall. I was surprised because I thought that it would be a block/concrete wall. The estate agent said this was normal. Should I ask if the partition wall is fire rated? Is it normal to extend using a partition wall or should it have been concrete. Thanks a million for your help

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No, it doesn’t have to be block or concrete. It can be timber, but, it must be. Compartment / separating wall in accordance with Section 3.5.2 on Page 37 and 38 of the linked document below

http://www.housing.old.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/technical_guidance_document_b_fire_safety_volume_2_dwelling_houses.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tweenie

Thanks a million for all your help. It is much appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement