Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pension from UK and Tax

• 15-09-2021 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a small amount in a pension based in the UK due to mature. It is under 20k in sterling.

I am about to turn 55 which is the date i originally set to retire.

I am in full time employment PAYE.

I plan to take this money as a lump sum. Obviously this will be taxed.

The question is will it be taxed twice. In the UK prior to be sent and then by revenue.

Any insights appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Are you sure the pension lump-sum will be taxed?

Why do you say that this is obvious?

Pension lump-sums up to 25% of the fund are tax-free in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I assumed that the other 75% is classed as income and so would be taxed.

Be delighted if not though 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I would be interested to know how you get on.

I drew some of my UK pension for no real reason when in the UK and it took me into the higher income tax rate bracket.

I now seem to owe HMRC £3000 yet I have not worked for two years, I lived here in Ireland from savings of which the pension taken was part.

I would like to know if you have to pay tax in the UK as I still have about £4000 in pension funds there that I was hoping to keep for emergencies.

I have a UK bank account still, so I am hoping that a small transfer would not attract attention anyway, although I cannot see how the Irish government could possibly tax my meager pension when it matures. It was bloody pathetic in the UK, but here with everything from banks to phone companies gathering around like vultures to screw anyone remotely solvent, I don't see how I can pay tax on damn all!

Any chance of emailing me if you get replies please?

I am not sure what's happened to this medium, but I cannot find anything any more.

I was actually looking for duck threads in smallholdings when I found this message!

Regards

Hugh

nearyh@Mail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'm in the same situation myself. It's my understanding that you can only take 25% tax free. I'm actually going to get professional advice next month, as I have two pensions here also and want to see what the best way of amalgamating them is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Hi all,

As i am looking at a lump sum i have found out it will be taxed in the UK.

But it can be claimed back so no double tax.

Some info here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/double-taxation-treaties-territory-residents-with-uk-income

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I have about 100K in a uk pension, unfortunately I’m a long way off retirement.

Wondering if anyone has any idea about how I’d move it back here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Saudades

Further research is needed on this as I'm just going by vague memory, but I believe I read somewhere before that the type of employment in the UK will determine where the tax is paid.

If it was private sector employment, tax will be due to Revenue here in Ireland (or wherever you're tax resident).

If it was public sector employment, it will be taxed by HMRC in the UK.

Advertisement