Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trade in Value

• 13-09-2021 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

Good evening folks.

How much of your cars value would you expect to get from a trade in? All searching seems to value the car currently at 20000. The main dealer is only offering 17500.

I always thought you would get the same as market value or even a bit more. Maybe this only applies to cars in the bangernomics end of the market? We got 2500 for the 800 euro golf to buy this car originally, for example.

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭User1998

That artificially high trade in value only applies to cheap cars where dealers pretend they are offering you big money for your trade in but are actually just giving you a discount from the price that you would have gotten anyway without a trade in.

Trade in values are meaningless. The amount of cash you are spending is the only important figure. (Cost to change)

If you are buying an over priced car you will probably get a better trade in value. If the car you are buying is priced well your trade in value won’t be as high.

Generally the trade in value will be lower than what you would get selling privately, but again, Cost to change is the only important figure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Some dealers work off an artificial trade in price for their car which is inflated to make it look like you're getting more for yours.

Trade in value should be exactly as it sounds. The "trade" price for the car which is the retail price, in your case 20k, less the margin needed by dealer. 17500 sounds about right for a 20k car, if not less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

I traded in against a new car last year -

Dealer 1 offered €31.5k for the trade in

Dealer 2 offered €29k for the trade in

Dealer 1 priced the new car at €52k

Dealer 2 priced the new car at €48.5k

So dealer 2 was the better deal ……. Trade-in value in isolation is a meaningless number

also - the car I traded in was up on their forecourt with a sticker price of €31.5k a few days later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A dealer will always offer you less that market value/what you'd get privately. Otherwise they wouldn't be making a profit on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I've been getting low ball and not so low ball offers from dealers for trading in my current car. The difference between lower and higher offer was 5k, so depending on the value of the car you want to buy they might move on price a bit. Also I would play cat n mouse with them saying that some other dealer offered you a bit more and see what they could offer.

Put your car for sale on donedeal and see what happens. You might get close to what dealer would be selling your car for, who knows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

A straight cash deal for your new car, is the best deal there is... When you trade in, the dealer has to wait until he sells your trade in, before he can count his profit..and that factor's in a 3 (or more) mth warranty.. So Cash is king. But the majority of people don't want the hassle of selling their own car privately, so take the trade in option. And that's basically accepting the best deal you can negotiate. But do not use the forecourt listed prices as a marker for your own....thats the dealership price including profit margin, and warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

While that would usually be the case, it's not at the moment. Selling a new car, without something being traded in, leaves a hole on the forecourt that's very difficult to fill from elsewhere at the moment. Dealers are crying out for stock, and most I've spoken to would prefer someone trading in something they can then retail themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, you are right! Its a practically an un-heard of state of affairs. Where trade-ins are actually increasing in value. The car I bought in August 2020, has not lost its value, as you would normally expect. I guess that this is due in part because production of new cars has slowed down immensly, ( lack of chips + lack of assembly parts-supply chain issues re covid) etc. so people are having to delay trading / purchasing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Someone would want to tell a few big dealers in Dublin so as they are still trying to offer lowball trade-in values when I enquired about a few cars recently. Close to 8k difference between what they were offering me for my car compared to what they were asking for a similar car on their forecourt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

They'll service it, valet it, add new tyres, brake pads etc. if needed. Also have to pay salary to the employees, other expenses etc. & normally give a small warranty & want to make a profit so you can understand being more expensive but shouldn't be anything crazy.

• Advertisement

My car was serviced a month beforehand via the service pack at a main dealer that came with it so it didn't need anything done. I also put a fresh NCT on it back in July so nothing there either. The tyres still have about 5mm left on them, the only thing it might have needed were the alloy wheels refurbed because of a small bit of white worm but I've seen alot worse for sale on their forecourts. The cost of a warranty I can understand a bit and I've no problem with them making a profit on the car (that's why they are there) but if these big glass palaces need to buy a car at 8k less than what they ask for it then they have lost the run of themselves. Some of them want to buy from you at pre brexit prices but sell to you at post brexit prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sellers market at the moment. They mustn't have fancied your trade in much, or decided it was probably going to hang around for a while (costing money) before it sold.

At the moment, it's a case of "if you don't buy it, someone else will" on the dealers terms, rather than the buyers terms. It's not going to last, so hay is being made while the sun shines.

It's a 4 year BMW 430d GC which I know the market isn't huge in Ireland especially these days but funnily enough the car they had similar to mine for 8k more is now gone and the 128ti I was interested in buying which doesn't exactly have a huge market either, is still on their forecourt at the same asking price 2 months later. Anyway I couldn't be bothered trying to figure out some of these dealers logic, not worth the effort. There is no value out there at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Was happy enough with the trade in price in the end. Thanks for the pointers. The car had a 2.5k major service last week. The one i'm trading in is due a service in a few months and the tyres are almost on the limit markers so probably a 3k swing in that sense.

Happy with the car. I've only ever bought privately before so it's nice to be driving something with a years warranty and breakdown. Another thing I hadn't factored into the price until mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Your dead right to away from that deal - would you consider getting another garage to sell your car for you on commission? Seems to becoming a win win for buyer and garages doing it - they get commission quickly and potential finance commission, you get more than you would via privately

I'm just not bothered at the moment to be honest. There is just no value out there and I'd still end up paying over the odds for another car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Fair enough - your 430d is a car that you could easily regret selling, such a pity that beaut of an engine will be gone from our roads

Advertisement