Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Straw Spreader

• 13-09-2021 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ Madisonmenece

Hi All,

we use 2 round bales of straw everyday during the winter, shed fully cleaned out every morning and two fresh bales spread over 64' x 36' lying area spread. currently bales are rolled out and spread by hand/fork.

was thinking a straw spreader for either tractor or loader would be a timely investment as dad does most of the winter work and has a few more years on the clock, don't need to blow it 20ft or anything like that or chop it to bits as we can drive through the bedding area. what's a simple tool available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭ bogman_bass

Something like a travel tomahawk?

i know you don’t want a blower but the only other thing I can think of is a spreadabale but you need a big loader for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭ Markcheese

Isn't there some kind of spike that goes in the back of the tractor that then turn 90 degrees to allow you unroll the bale as you drive ?

Or maybe something like a hustler ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭ Gillespy

Something like this? Doesn't say how far it throws straw. Galvanised and self loading too.

Spreadabale is a big lump, really need a four wheel steer handler to manouver it into pens too. Plus is it handles all bales

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭ ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Spread a bale have a model now that does 4x4 bales only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭ MfMan

Anyone have a bigger spec machine for this, e.g. McHale C460? Have thinking of one for shaking straw and feeding out round bales. Does it chop the silage bales well, anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ trixi2011

Have a c460 here good machine but very time consuming loading and blowing in comparison to the likes of a spread a bale . Never fed bales with it but have seen one used to feed out pit silage into a biker before and worked really well

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ Madisonmenece

the spread a bale mini does look the job, I think I did price the larger one there last year but as up in the region of 20k+

I was thinking about having a go at fabricating something up but not sure would something be bought and work better for the same bobs.

Advertisement