Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor Tax - selling and buying car.

• 12-09-2021 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

My understanding is that if I sell my car the motor tax stays on it and I can't get it refunded (unless car is being scrapped, stolen etc). If I buy a car from dealership (used) do I need to pay motor tax from the date of purchase or as per tax expiry showing on the disc ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

From the first day of the month in which you purchase the car.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

Car tax stays on the one car - it cant be transferred to another. When you buy a different car if that new car has tax - then you only buy new tax when it expires on the new cars tax disc "if it has any"

Otherwise buy new car tax from the month starting of the purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

If it’s a used car, and there is a current in date disc on the car, then it’s from the date of expiry on the disc, not from date of purchase .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,461 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's always worth doing a history check too that you can see car is correctly registered as a private car. You can look on motortax.ie for the current tax rating based on the registragtion of the car. For example if you bought a 4 litre car taxed as a limo it would be €95 but the actual private rate would be €1809.

Advertisement