Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island's edge opinions

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

@breezy1985 Anyone who thinks they're a "craft beer drinker" but doesn't do basic research into what they're drinking is an idiot who deserves to be fleeced by a multinational brewery. It's like a vegetarian just assuming there's no meat in their sandwich, eating it, and then getting angry about the ham. If you genuinely care whether something is real "craft beer" or not, you do your homework. Otherwise, enjoy the industrial slop which nobody made you drink.

The fact is that the multinationals noticed there's a tiny bit of diversity in the beer market now (about 3% of it) and they reckon that they can take advantage of that; not necessarily to steal its market share, but to build out their own. I don't think it's malicious, any more than the rest of capitalism is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Cheers was sad to hear about the Grand Central they always had a decent selection and nice wee pub to sit downstairs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Yerevan is beautiful

What is your definition of craft beer?

Is Tesco’s own brand? Definitely not!

Duvel? Delicious but still mass produced.

Chimay? Likewise.

Can you name a specific “craft beer” that meets your criteria?

It's not a term I use much, or attach any specific meaning to, hence the inverted commas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't think these people think they are "craft beer drinkers" but they might like an IPA so if the Heineken brand fails it's more likely the pub fills the gap with craft. In the Netherlands Heineken is a brewery not a lager and there is Heineken Black and Weisse beer. Would have no issue with them doing that like Smithwicks and Guinness have done in Ireland.

The macros can practice all the capitalism they want but it doesn't mean I can't be happy when they fail at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Yerevan is beautiful

Apologies. I’m only awake. On nights this week 😂

I’m normally a Guinness man in the pub and Duvel at home.

If you like wine try kindzmarauli.

I'm not for a second denying you your happiness 😁 But it sounds like you think every big brewery product should have a bell around its neck warning unwary customers it's unclean.

I'm first in the queue when campaigning for transparency in beer provenance, and I'll note here that Cute Hoor and Island's Edge packaged beer is fully legally compliant on that front, whereas products from small independent breweries frequently aren't. We could have a law that makes it a requirement to put the brewer's company name on the tap badge or pub menu, but there would still be legal loopholes that dishonest or disingenuous brewers could exploit. I don't think there's a better solution than the consumer simply paying attention, and being suspicious if they have concerns. We're not going to get a situation where Madrí taps have a sign saying "WARNING: ACTUALLY BREWED BY MOLSON COORS IN ENGLAND" on them. If provenance is a concern, look it up; if you're casual about it, then no harm is done by you thinking it's the authentic taste of Madrid.

And Smithwick's's hands are far from clean on this. I toured the brewery just before it shut in 2013. There was a Guinness tanker in the yard and the guide helpfully explained that, since the 1960s, Smithwick's arranges for Guinness to do their distribution for them. Lads...

Of course there should be no law against not having the brewery on the badge. I just think they are knobs for doing It.

Although Madri having "Madrid" on the label should be illegal. The beer has never had anything to do with Madrid as far as I'm aware.

That's arguably illegal already: EU Regulation 1169/2011, Article 7, 1(a). But somebody would have to complain, and a problem in this country is that the people you complain to are the Food Safety Authority who are a bit busy keeping cockroaches out of your chips.

• Advertisement

Never knew that. I always assumed it would be a consumer watchdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭techman1

I'm certain it's 3.8% , in any case why would that just affect carlsberg but not other beers like Heineken or Stella artois, surely they would all be lower alcohol in the North if duties were a primary concern

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭JVince

Finally tried islands edge a couple of weeks ago as it was €7 for 4 in Tesco. Basically I found the concept so unappealing that it took me, as a stout drinker, until now to try it

In the pub I drink guinness, at home it would be Blacks / Rye River for stout.

Island's edge was woeful. too many flavours trying to merge and unless it was ice cold, it simply did not taste well. It may well have suited some people, but at the end of the day Guinness has 30% of the on trade market and trying to recreate the wheel was never going to work. I think if they went the route of adding a bit of carbonation and effectively a black smithwicks, it may have worked better.

The other things is the name - it means nothing whatsoever and does not trip off the tongue. Smacks of a focus group that way way over thought the process

I don't think anyone will miss it

Here's the announcement:

Different companies make different business decisions. There's no reason that AB InBev or Heineken would have to follow what Carlsberg is doing with its flagship. Heineken UK ceased brewing a special low-strength UK version a few years back and made a big deal of it all now being the full-fat Dutch 5%. I think Ireland may be the only country that brews/imports a weak local variant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's 3.4% now, and it's because they decided to do the cut themselves - it's not compulsory. It just saves them a LOT of money

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

Even the two names...island and edge. Difficult to order at the bar and sound like a knob saying "can I have an island" or can I have an "edge"

e.g Coors Light has two words, but its Coors!

All in all, what a disaster. Two lovely stouts already in their portfolio. Give them the love they deserve and market them properly with a national presence in pubs.

There is no beer on the Irish or UK market called "Coors Light". It's just "Coors".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Read the release and laughed at the part about getting away from the black and white of other stouts marketing… except Beamish which is a red logo and Murphy’s have had some nice colourful logos over the years.

I honestly think this was adobe short of solo run by some knobs trying to be the big man in marketing terms so they could say they launched a big Guinness competitor and ended up inventing a beer nobody asked for and BOI drinkers wanted.

As regards the craft/non craft thing, drink what you enjoy and that’s it. I’ll drink Smithwicks or Guinness out but if I get a local brewery in a pub I’ll give them a whirl. At home it’s all local craft Irish breweries and a few international beers I like. Just d drink what you enjoy and don’t apologise for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I had a few pints of this. Thought it was grand.

Not A session drink. I didn’t mind having one or 2 pints of this, the same as a Murphy’s or beamish, if I was out for a meal or something, I can’t stomach any of them outside of that.

Guinness is the only I could drink multiples of when out on the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Theres still a few places round with cute hoor on tap, i always liked it tbh.

Islands edge was just weird tasting, couldnt tell if i liked it or not, and so never ordered it after an initial tasting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,761 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah, here. I'm sure there's many nuanced reasons why this failed but I don't think this is one of them. Island's edge has the same number of syllables as Heineken! It's not exactly a mouthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 board silly

the cringe ad with the girl on the decks. destined to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'd really have to wonder what goes on in these 'morketing' meetings.

OK yah I have a great new idea - totes amazeballs...

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement