Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bollards along cycling lanes

Options
  • 11-09-2021 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭

Alright so what's the story with these?

First of all it looks horrible, second it just looks stupid.

It really isn't a good idea, basically an eyesore and it's everywhere.

...and here's why it's wrong:

how do you overtake a slower cyclist(s)? You don't. Unless there's a gap big enough to do that so I guess you have to be patient.

you can do that here I guess, but you gotta be quick:

They are in the way so the bus driver has to pull into the bus stop like this. I guess you have to watch your step when you're getting on.

Particulary here on Harbourview road it's a perfect example. You can't drive around a car that stops to turn. Buses and lorries couldn't do that anyway, but in a car you could do that. So now you have to stop and accelerate from a standstill if there's an obstacle ahead of you. You basically create more emissions because you have to use the first gear, it was definitely more rational to drive around a car using the cycling lane, now you burn more fuel as a result.

By the way, absolute miminum people cycle on Harbourview road. 2-3 per hour is too much, but you have hundreds of cars driving up and down this road every hour. Cycling is definitely more environmentally friendly, but stopping cars on a busy road to make them all burn more petrol definitely isn't. So this is the biggest downside of putting these bollards (almost) everywhere.

This guy knows what's going on so I was able to drive around him, but it was really close. Most people did this before these bollards were put on the road, everyone knows there's cars behind them and those people want to keep going so you drive closest to the center line you can to let them through.

thanks seat driver, that was cool. Hopefully most people will keep doing this, but it's pain in the hole most of the times. I am just hoping nobody will be turning when I drive here. Like seriously, wtf.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Also, who is gonna be cleaning them? In Ballincollig they are quite dirty already, what are they gonna look like after the winter? Birds sit on them and sh1t on them. Just weird to look at.

Who is gonna clean them one by one so? I would like to know. They are like one month old and already somewhere they are bent and broken. What are they gonna look like in two or three years?

...seriously, what a monumental waste of money. Some farmer should mow them down with his jeep and the council should take it all away and recycle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

If people didn't park in a cycle lane 'just for a few seconds' there would have been no need for these.

Just like any cycle lane you don't have to cycle on it but having dedicated 'safe' areas it encourages more people to get up on their high Nelly

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

You don't have much going on in your life, Diabhalta?

Go for a cycle...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

A wild idea here - perhaps one of the main reasons why not many people cycle is because many drivers behave exactly like you describe - using the cycle lane as an overtaking lane when it suits. All it takes is a single driver does that and doesn't see me on my bicycle, I'm potentially going to the morgue. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get away with a trip to the hospital. The car might have it's paint scratched if they're unlucky.

How exactly have they been bent and broken? Was it by a car hitting them by any chance? Is it that hard to drive down a road without driving into them? Because if it is, it's a perfect example of why they are actually needed to separate cars from cyclists in the first place.

If you think they are an eyesore, perhaps you have an alternative design that you could suggest that also improves safety for cyclists.

The idea that they are bad for pollution are comical. Perhaps if you are worried about emmisions you could look at cycling yourself. But I'm sure you'll be back to respond with some justification as to why your special circumstances in life explain why cycling isn't suitable for you, and therefore your justification is more important to cater for than others who can and will benefit from the instillation of these bollards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

In fairness he has a point. They should be made of something stronger than plastic so they cause huge damage to the car of any driver hits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I like the way in this whole rant the only thing that isn't blamed for pollution is the only thing creating it. The car. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Being unable to get past cars that are stopped to turn right is, I agree, extremely annoying.

I my experience, the cause of this is ignorant, unaware drivers who seem to have no idea that their right wheels should be right up to the central line. It's a constant annoyance and is caused by stupid drivers, not bicycle lanes, segregated or not.

Some roads are just too narrow to allow for this passing. The cause of this is usually cars parked on one or both sides of the road - op, how come you don't rage at roadside parking?

This is way more common than segregated cycle lanes.

I see the cyclists are here in full force this morning... why aren't you out there cycling? Oh wait, it's raining...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It's not raining? A bit cloudy but that's about it.

• Advertisement

Well this isn't clearly a case on Harbour view road is it?

Well I would but it's raining now. And in general rain isn't good for any outdoor activity. When you look at the weather forecast on Friday to see what the weather is like on Saturday and Sunday when you want to go on a hike which day are you gonna pick if it's supposed to rain on Saturday huh?

It's that simple.

Cars have wing mirrors, vast majority people use them you know. Of course I am not gonna put a cyclist in danger just because I want to drive around a car. You can hurt yourself in many ways, you are overtaking a slower cyclist, won't make it in time back in front of him, you'll lose balance and you get impaled by one of these plastic bollards.

Is there really a need to improve safety with bollards covered in dirt and bird sh1t? Btw. like I said there's almost nobody using those cycle lanes on Harbour view road. So who are we keeping safe here exactly? It's on top of a hill, if anybody wants to go to work in Apple they'll take a bus. From 1000 people how many cycle to Apple? 1-2?

They are bad for pollution, it's not an idea but it's a fact. Cars have to stop and accelerate from a standstill, they can't just continue driving like before. You burn more fuel accelerating from a standstill. Fact, not an opinion. These are two completely different things.

So somebody falls on them and get seriously hurt? There would be so many lawsuits that those bollards would literally dissapear overnight. Guaranteed.

----------------

I would like to get my hands on the CCTV footage from one of the Applegreen's cameras to see how many cyclists are actually using those lanes. I would watch all the footage from monday to friday (fast forwarded of course) and count how many people cycle there. How many per week? A 100? And how many in January or February? 10? You know those months when you cycle for 5 minutes and your nose is all snotty and it's just freezing cold.

This madness needs to stop.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are assuming most cyclists are leisure cyclists whereas the reality is that most people who cycle regularly do so to commute or shopping or some other activity.

They will do this in all forms of weather! (There is no bad weather, just bad clothing!)

um, no. Most cyclists deliver food to customers. Deliveroo, Just eat. Look around next time when you're on st. patrick's street.

I think I'll just go and drive around Cork to look for cyclists just to prove you wrong.

If these bollards are such a good idea why aren't they using them in Holland?

Because their drivers aren’t as entitled and dangerous as in Ireland.

How many people fall on plastic bollards? Why they are better than solid ones that would damage a car when a driver hits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

Ah, the classic Oirish put down. 'Mustn't be much fun at parties,' etc.

What's your point? Unfortunately bollards such as these are needed on routes where you have a mix of cyclists and cars. The reality is that there are too many entitled drivers who casually drive past cyclists not giving sufficient space. As the recipient of such passes, it's scary as hell. However, it has been shown that because if the risk of damaging their paintwork, drivers will give space when driving alongside the bollards. Sad but true. The fact that a few residents don't like them does not negate their benefit. Ideally however, full segregation would be put in place but as you can see from the likes of Sandymount, some people simply are just too self centred to want to give up their road space and come up with all forms of excuse. Kinda like your above posts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would you just look at all those motorists being held up in that photo by the wands. it'd make you weep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,428 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I agree they're ugly but as a city centre cyclist they do make me feel a hell of a lot safer.

Some spots in Dublin had the long vertical poles removed but the things they were mounted in on the ground are still there, so you still have a segregated cycle lane without the eyesore that is the vertical poles - I thought that was a good happy medium.

Of the 148 fatalities, there were 62 Drivers killed, 26 Passengers, 32 Pedestrians, 17 Motorcyclists and 10 Pedal Cyclists.

10 cyclists in 2020, in a country of 5 million people. Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not everyone who favours better cycling and pedestrian infrastructure is a cyclist.

While I do own a bicycle, I very rarely us it but I drive almost daily. Despite this I am all for any measures that restrict the numbers of cars in the city centre and measures that slow down traffic in the city centre, making it safer and more pleasant for pedestrians and cyclists.

Eh? You are the one that said that people fall on them and hurt themselves.

also, have you stats for the number of accidents where cyclists and pedestrians are injured by motorists?

yes, that's the road... where two crashes happened in one and half year. Given the volume of traffic on daily basis two crashes are acceptable.

btw. I passed the first crash in February 2020. Fellas were going crazy fast in the middle of the night and fled the scene leaving the girl behind. It could have happened anywhere so it's not the road's fault.

bollards don't restrict numbers of cars in the city nor slow them down.

Given the volume of traffic on daily basis two crashes are acceptable.

Acceptable to whom? As a vulnerable road user, I do not accept it!

So here you have it, it was straight just two days ago.

It doesn't matter who is causing this. Cars, pedestrians, cyclists, whales, aliens... they are out there for 6 weeks only, mark my words this will get only worse and worse...

• Advertisement

btw. here you have two cyclists cycling on a footpath. Not using the road at all.

wE nEeD moAr cYcliNg lAneS 💩

Advertisement