Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

NCT question

• 10-09-2021 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,718 ✭✭✭✭ yourdeadwright

Quick question lads the missus reversed her car into a pole up the local shopping centre, the casing for the back light broke ,

Just small bit of the very bottom broke away will she pass the NCT like this ?

The NCY is Monday but she wont have time to drop the car to get replaced till after,

And should i stick a bit of tape on it ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,409 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327

Put some tape (or better yet some clear glue).

If the light is cracked visibly it's a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bensimp

Send it in for the NCT .

It will only be visual retest so wont cost anything to bring it back and show them once it has been fixed. ( unless it fails on other items)

I think it is too late to amend the booking without paying a charge, plus you may not get a new NCT test date for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,718 ✭✭✭✭ yourdeadwright

I don't think the glue would work because a bit is missing, Now its only small and kind of on the bottom of the casing if you get me,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭ Del2005

If you still have the bit tape it back on with clear tape, if you don't have the bit it will fail. I'd a fog light cracked and passed a few NCTs with it by taping over it. But we don't know what the tester will do on the day, at least its a free visual retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,023 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

Tape may work. If not have a look at Ebay and Partfinder.ie for used replacement, may not be that much. Have replaced full rear light units before and it's pretty much undo a few screws and then plug and play with the connectors, 5-10 minute job. Some cars may be a pain in the hole though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭ Spook_ie

NCT Bible says

• Repairs to lenses (e.g. lens repair tape etc.) must be assessed on their merits, considering security, colour, light output and durability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭ greasepalm

You can buy coloured tape in clear , red and orange as once clear light is showing from a red/orange lamp its a fail. Celotape will dissolve

Advertisement