Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair Care for thick mops

• 08-09-2021 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I've super thick and dry hair. I go for a cut every 4 weeks and get it heavily thinned out and this usually keeps it OK for the first 2 weeks. But the second 2 weeks is always unmanageable, and I don't want to go every 2 weeks for a hair cut.

I wash the hair every day with a generic shower gel after sport, think the one I'm using at the moment is an Adidas sport gel. And then I just towel dry it and put some wax in it to try and keep some shape. Blow drying, combing or brushing just leaves me with a strawy unsightly mess, so I avoid that.

What do others do, or what products and techniques are you using, I am probably doing everything wrong here 😆

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hat.

You need to use a good conditioner and better shampoo. You're washing all the oils out of it with the sports gel, so the only way you can tame it is to use a good conditioner.

Even a good 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner combo might be helpful.

Some of those hair oil products - that contain Argan Oil etc, can be very good too and they don't smell particularly overwhelming either - just smell like hair product.

You just put in a small amount and your hair kinda behaves itself. They don't leave it looking like you dipped your head in vaseline, just kinda makes it stop sticking up / less like straw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ah nice, was recently looking for fragrance free shampoos, must try a proper shampoo. I guess those generic shower gels are just all about the smell. How do use conditioner, just apply it like shampoo and wash it out?

Just wash your hair, rinse it. Put in the conditioner - wait 3 mins (like have the rest of your shower) then wash it out.

Some of the leave-in oil type stuff may be useful. You just put a few drops in and comb it through.

Have a look around for totally fragrance free conditioners and shampoos if you want there are some good options.

Mostly the problem is that your hair's not really evolved to be constantly washed, so you're washing out all sorts of oils and coatings that it naturally has and better shampoos just don't do that as much and conditioners basically put coatings, oils and moisturisers back in again.

You can definitely get scent-free stuff, but it's also just a matter of trial and error to see what works. Some will be too oily/greasy and others will be too light. It's kinda just dependent on your hair and scalp.

Hair just isn't really evolved for tons of washing.

A lot of those products aren't necessarily male/female but some of them are totally over scented.

I just use a drop of oil and a pomade type stuff - just not very much of it.

There isn't really a whole lot to and there's a lot of b/s marketing stuff selling people stupidly expensive products.

Also make sure you're eating well and getting your vitamins - hair quality and nail quality can be an indication of diet too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Thanks, that's really helpful.

I usually do some form of sport at lunch time, so my head is usually very sweaty, hard to avoid not washing it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, washing it isn't really optional as we don't live in the medieval era when everyone just whiffed, but you kinda have to put the oils back in again if you wash them out.

Basically all you're looking for is something that's compatible with your hair/scalp.

Just try a few different products out and see what works. There isn't really much to it.

Also a lot of products like say Pantene or whatever don't exactly smell any more or less masculine or feminine than say Persil, so just use whatever works.

You get ranges aimed at people with sensitive skin too that have zero or very close to no scent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Dont wash your hair with shampoo / products more than once or twice a week (wetting it is fine), alot of the chemicals strip out the natural oils your scalp produces. Even when you do wash it, use a proper shampoo and certainly not Adidas / Lynx or similar "all in one" products, I wouldn't use those yokes on my dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Any recommendations for a good shampoo, preferably antidandruff?

I use H&S for men daily because my scalp is better for it. But my hair dries out a lot.

Advertisement