Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interior Painting

Options
  • 08-09-2021 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Just about to move into a new build. It will be painted in a neutral colour but some rooms we will be putting down new paint. 3 questions

1. How easy is it to paint your own house?
    2. Rough estimate of supplies cost?
    3. How much would it cost to have somebody paint it for us?

House is a 3 bed semi-d. Would be looking at painting kitchen, living room, hall, stairs and landing as well as the master bedroom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

To even guess for a professional painter you'd have to give sq metres for areas you will be painting. But you are better off doing that in person.

I'd say 2.5L-5L per room since they already have a coat on. Look at prices on Woodies, in B and Q etc.

Fairly easy to work out...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Maxface

Not many painters give a price per sq/mt i would imagine. All depends on size of room and how many for example. Price would be not including paint in my experience. I would say 150 one room with no wood, slightly cheaper for extra rooms. Painter can get paint, it isn't normally cheaper than you can get but it is better. Trade paint is normally better than your retail paint.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It would be a lot more than 150 for a room IMO, not even sure you'd get that price from a johnny cash man. Suppose it depends on where you are. Getting a whole house painted would be at least a couple of grand based on any quotes I've got the past few years, price will go up significantly if you are getting the woodwork done too. Labour will make up the majority of the cost.

As for painting it yourself, it's not rocket science but it's a pain in the arse, especially if you're doing wood. Cutting in etc takes a while to get used to. If you want to save money you could hire a painter to do downstairs and do the upstairs rooms yourself, nobody else is likely to see your wavy lines and smudges!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I would say the rough estimate will be around €2000 including paint for 100-110sqm house if you get a decent enough quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

The advice I've heard and seen with new builds is to leave the house to settle for first year before painting walls.

You will get settlement cracks, nail pop outs, etc.. which will always stand out with just a paint touch up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

Go for it in one room and then decide, you will get better but the pro will be quicker.

You will have to pay for the paint either way so it is your labour v paying for a pro's labour that will decide.

If getting a pro check out the quality of the work after first room, most know their stuff but some....

If going for it:

Usually you let the walls dry fully before letting anybody paint.

Think about any tiling you are going to do as they stick to unpainted walls a bit better. Not a big issue either way

Paint top down, ceilings first then walls then skirting boards.

Prep, prep, prep. Let any calking/fuller dry fully and pay attention to sanding.

Paint before carpets are installed, it makes it easier.

Protect floorboards from drips, you may decide to sand these

Buy a long handle for your roller!!!

A lot of people put on a base colour to make the house livable then "decorate when they have a plan.

Watch some pro videos on YouTube.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

Thanks for the advice, as ongarite said I think we will leave the house as is to settle for a while. The colour it is painted is not a million miles from the direction we were going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

If your walls are not large in terms of height and you are thinking to paint a small apartment or a single room then it could be a little easy to paint it. But honestly, painting is not as easy as it looks when you saw online tutorials. The use of the right painting material matters the most. You will need the following stuff in this regard:

Painter's Tape

Painting Roller

Tray

Edger

Drop Cloth

Paintbrush

I noticed it is easy to paint with a roller but holding it in the right manner is important. By the way, instead of buying these tools, you can also simply rent them. On the contrary, if we talk about the paint prices then 2.5 litres of Delux matt paint comes to around £23.04 on eBay. Probably, easycare ones would be around £32. You can also fill out this form to get free paint quotes in this regard. I also just got a simple quote through such sites and picked the right option. By the way, if you are good at painting and don't have the budget then you should paint your room or apartment on your own. I am also sharing some reliable sources that you can use to get paint prices, how much it costs to paint a room in the UK and how much professional painters charge nowadays.

Have a look:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dulux-paint-uk/s?k=dulux+paint+uk

https://www.homehow.co.uk/costs/paint-a-room

Advertisement