Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problems With Auctioneers

Options
  • 07-09-2021 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Has anyone had a problem like this:

In a small town we have 3 houses rented out to HAP tenants.

We are now looking to move ourselves in the same area but auctioneers never return our calls or arrange viewings.

Anytime we put in a bid on a house we later told it is sold without an opportunity to up our bid.

Could it be that auctioneers do not want to known as the ones who sell houses to people who rent houses to social cases and thus damge their own reputation?

Anyone elses experiences would be interesting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The auctioneer probably thinks you're buying another investment... There's a huge drive at the moment by sellers to not sell to investors or councils, especially if it was an inherited house

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What drive, and by who?

I suspect most sellers care only about who will pay the most.

Sellers of inherited houses probably inherit their childhood homes and have good relations still with neighbors, sometimes if they particularly enjoyed living in an area they may have bought locally themselves

Investors might give more towards a sale but in the grand scheme of things you're talking an extra 2-3k maximum and if that's split between 4 siblings it's really not worth it

Not saying it's happening everywhere but I've certainly seen examples of it

I sold a house (executor sale) last year in a provincial town. The estate agent was quite happy to take money from whoever offered it, but she made a point of asking me if I was happy to sell to an investor rather than a private buyer. She said that she and other local agents always ask, and that some sellers prefer not to sell to investors, or to "social housing" buyers.

Estate agents shouldn't be making those kind of decisions without consulting their clients, but I'd imagine that in most cases their clients are aware of the choices involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Selling second property now and would prefer to sell to a first time buyer than an investor. Maybe a few others think likewise

• Advertisement

I'd say there are a few around who think likewise. As an executor I was always going to go for the highest price, because otherwise I'd be letting down the beneficiaries, but that might not be a factor for others.

We also live in a country where whole swathes of the Oireachtas and the Cabinet are renting out property, and have the system rigged to suit themselves and the commercial investors. In that context, I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes when the occasional individual here and there decides not to maximise their sale price.

From what I can tell, as a first time buyer, most people are like Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bensimp

You may be able to make a complaint to the National Property Services Regulatory Authority, http://www.psr.ie/. In the Code of practice under point 3.2

"Property Services Providers shall treat all potential customers equally in terms of disclosing or otherwise the specific level of, and/or conditions attaching to, counter offers received for a property"

If you make them aware of this it may prevent them doing it to you on other properties

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Or, ensure that they never answer the phone to you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

My missus had a house before we met. The tenant was moving out last year and someone said to rent it to the council for 10 years iirc and no hassle with repairs etc.

She gets on well with the neighbors and said she'd rent it privately as it's pot luck who the council would put in. I can see why people do it.

• Advertisement

I haven't met enough sellers to be able to form a definitive view.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Somewhat pot luck who you rent it to privately too.................hence alll threads on here about problem tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If I was an auctioneer, I'd still collect bids from all potential buyers. Makes no sense not to. Especially in a "bidding war" scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Small towns sellers often prefer locals to get a property, EA in small towns are usually very connected and like being a solicitor in a small town it's a very gossipy profession there could be several things going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ive a friend and his wife who rented their apartment to the council.

Now they have the management company threatening them and neighbours who were previously friends falling out with them.

The council put in nightmare tenants who have really ruined everyone living nearbys lives.

And the council wont help at all. All the council say is "GDPR", "GDPR", "GDPR".

Now they are sorry they ever rented to the council.

So I can see how people might be concerned who they sell to if they are friends with their neighbors.

Advertisement