Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CAD Monitor

Options
  • 07-09-2021 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hello all,

This forum is a little quite but maybe this will get some traction.

In a new job I will be doing some more CAD work and at the same time I will also be setting up a home office for which I will need a new monitor.

I've done CAD work fairly intensively in the past but that was ca. 2008 on whatever small screens existed back then. As I search now for something new, I'm completely lost in the various models etc. It doesn't bring me much help to google "top 5 monitors for CAD" as the top 10 results all give different monitors.

Maybe someone here can bring some real world advice to it? It would be appreciated.

The background info is as follows:

Programme: AutoCad LT

Size: ca. 28" (can be a bit bigger if it's well reasoned, although having looked at a few in the shop, 30"+ is fairly massive).

Price: ca. EUR 300

It will be run for the moment of a Lenovo ThinkPad x1 Carbon 5th Gen,  i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz  2.90 GHz, 16GB Ram.

A secondary question is actually if my current computer will be able to run it satisfactorily.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Computer should be fine for AutoCAD LT as LT is Light. It's not the full AutoCAD.

In my opinion any monitor will do once you are happy with the size. I've two infront of me now that are different brands and can't tell the difference. If you're going to start using a lot of Photoshop and rendering of 3D graphics then a better monitor is probably more useful but for AutoCAD I think anything is fine. A comfortable desk and chair are more important. You could also get one of them adjustable monitor arms to have the screen at the height and distance you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Hey, thanks. That's good to know.

I think for home I'll be doing a single screen setup combined with the laptop if needed although I know in the office they use dual screens.

I won't be doing any Photoshop or rendering, actually the plans will all be simple enough.

I think I will just try to future proof it as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Just to finish this out.

Went in the end for this:

A little over my expected budget but it was worth it for the extra USB-C support. Makes the whole wiring much neater with only one cable in and out.

Advertisement