Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish schools being sent ideological gender identity "pledge packs"

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. The point does not remain the same. The Lord Mayor and Children from Comhairle na Nog were subjected to online bigotry, hate and abuse by calling them degenerates, deviants, scum, marxists, paedos, child abusers, groomers and calling for them to be jailed. This is not in any way whatsoever a "common sense" argument no matter how much you try to paint it as merely "concerned parents" - Its not. Its an organised campaign of homophobia, transphobia, hatred and bigotry.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Your attempt at justifying hate and bigotry isnt working 🤣

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

I think the hatred is directed towards the Lord mayor and the Dublin county council for being perceived to be forcing this on impressionable school children without running it by the parents first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

What did the other 483 tweets say?

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Come out with something stupid, get stupid responses - simple.

We're getting somewhere you now acknowledge there was indeed a pileon of hatred - kinda mad isnt it though that all these decades old homophobic and transphobic tropes linking LGBT people to child abuse are suddenly not really homophobic or transphobic 🤣- I dont buy it though - a lot these accounts throwing out the abuse and hatred are not parents

Terry Pratchet

Of course you don't care.

Those who support online abuse are devoid of morality. Why would they care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭joey100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I remember a video linked in the Peter Tatchell thread (I think it was a workshop at Dublin pride) where Tatchell described how to get this kind of material into schools unbeknownst to parents. Framing it as an anti-bullying campaign would be consistent with the methods he described.

Or indeed you could take it at face-value. These days it's hard to know what to believe.

I understand what hate and bigotry are. You are supporting and justifying it.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You will find just as many self appointed tras acting in the same manner every time they claim to be offended by words such as woman

It's twitter it's full of nut jobs

No you don't, you understand them from within the walls of your woke echo chamber you live in but you don't actually understand them. Seriously, go look them up - it might give you some clarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

The link between them is the abuse they tend to get. I guess many (not all) in the LGB banner identified with the abuse trans people get and they went together. Certainly there are differences but I was generally using left vs right arguments (marital rape was in there as well) not just LGB arguments. We also didn't discuss the referendum. Any of the recent ones really, as a society we shouted at each other. If we could start with ok these are pretty reasonable but we should have discussions with interested parties around these points then it would be a discussion. This is giving out about an anti bullying campaign.

You seem to have set your line and have decided to argue against things you don't believe in to help you defend the original line. Near as I can see the opposition has made it the all or nothing case because of the arguments over the small stuff. As soon as the pronoun debate ends it will be tough to again go, well it didn't kill us to use pronouns but this time we are right is a weak starting point for a debate since at that stage no one will believe it.

You are right in that we have no idea how it will turn out. Or indeed anything but here we are anyway, not knowing how something will turn out is a terrible reason to oppose it given it can be applied to pretty much everything.

We also have someone talking about the issue around breast exams when this can happen as is already happening but again it is about projecting things that are not happening in an attempt to have a discussion. Off topic men can also get breast cancer, I feel like this isn't expressed enough and that it may go undiagnosed if men don't realise it.

Whatbout whataboutery. There is an attempt by some in this thread to justify and support homophobic/transphobic bigotry and hatred and by others to minimise it and pretend it is not what it is.

Terry Pratchet

This **** is cheap, throwing around accusations of homophobia or "transphobia". Let me tell you this - I am a parent and as I said in another thread, while the child is of child age she is my responsibility, my rules. That includes this ideology throwing these packs to schools and requesting pledges - I don't agree with it, I don't want my child exposed to it and that's **** final - there is no "ifs" or "buts" or transphobic this or that. It doesn't matter what your feelings are, or how offended you are on behalf of that group - it is my child and my rules.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Still working through all the reports. This warning has been repeatedly ignored and many posters appear incapable of interacting in a civil manner

Thread closed - it will not be reopened

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement