Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl: 10c for used bottles and cans [Expired]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The main difference for the vast majority of people seems to be that instead of cleaning, crushing and putting a plastic bottle or a can into the recycling bin, you will now bring it back to the shop and join a queue for a machine that will hopefully be working - or get penalised if you don't do so.

A poster above made the point that it's solving a problem that doesn't exist and I'd go one step further and say it will affect profit margins of bin collection companies. Meaning we will pay for it in the long run. Most of Europe don't have private bin collectors so it's not an issue there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The machines are reliable and I've never seen anyone queue for them in countries where I've used them (Denmark, Oregon in the US).

The bin companies made their moans during the consultation process. If they start hitting the wall I'd be in favour of the entire sector being nationalised and reduce the pointless duplication of four complete sets of bin lorries (in my area - two or three would be common in all urban areas) driving around estates burning diesel in the hope that one of their customers has left a bin out. Privatising a natural monopoly was an exceptionally stupid idea.

Couldn't agree more with you about re-nationalising the bin collection services (and a few other monopolies) and if that were to happen it would sort out that issue

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

late, only just noticed this scheme.

Think this scheme has a lot of flaws in it.

It seems to me that you will only be given a 'daily' voucher of €2. otherwise I will be in there once a month with all my bottles and cans like I do at the moment when I go to local Tip.

So if it is only a €2 limit nobody will 'practically speaking ' be able to bring all the bots and cans back and the government is charging 20cents extra per bot and can. this is an insane price hike. when you bring the bot back for 10c they still make 10cents out of it. and when you cant bring all of them back (because its not practical) they will make 20cents on all those items too.

This scheme is simply going to cost me more money, Or have I got it all wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bin c🗑️ ompanies should be run by councils as they used be

these private companies are pirates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

FFS most council officials can't manage to have potholes in the roads filled in and there is no incentive for them to perform well at work, they are the real pirates with jobs for life and index linked pensions and no accountability.

Waste disposal is a huge industy worth a couple of billion euro a year in Ireland and employing over 8,000 people. It's best left to the professionals who know if they don't do a good job they are let go and someone else will take their place.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭corks finest

Obviously true

but if councils were run even half properly

and took control again of bin collections we’d have less dumping,

near me in Carrigaline especially the backroads

( captains boreen etc which is a rat run / shortcut and bypasses the town)

it gets an awful amount of illegal dumping and it can be anything from mattresses to engines and everything in between

even a bloody cctv sign might even deter it,

and also from Ballygarvan up past the airport right to st James cemetery it’s destroyed at times,

if they took it seriously they may at least stop some ppl

and make others to think twice,

Simple’s- some ppl are scrotes and just won’t pay for their rubbish to be removed,

whereas if one body was responsible and they’d no choice but to pay through rates or their dole the dumping would be mostly stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭JVince

You have it wrong.

Whenever you get information from an unreliable source, it is nearly always wrong.

There will be no limit on the number you return. You will have a choice of donation to charity, store voucher or a cash coupon that is cashed by the store. Choice is entirely yours.

All plastic bottles and cans that have a deposit charged will have a special barcode/qr code added and will have the ReTurn symbol printed.

It is not rocket science. It operates in dozens of countries and Ireland are not re-inventing or or doing anything different (thankfully). It works perfectly well everywhere it operates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you do have the wrong idea, because a deposit is a deposit

You will pay 15c of a deposit on the bottle, and you get back 15c when you return the bottle. Net difference to the consumer is zero, just like it is all across europe wherever theres similar schemes.

The daily voucher thing of max €2 was part of the pilot project conditions so nothing directly to do with how it will work when rolled out across the country.

Anyhow, the scheme is due to go live on Feb 1st next so another couple of months to figure out exactly how it will work. https://www.mccannfitzgerald.com/knowledge/agri-food-and-drinks/coming-soon-irelands-new-deposit-return-scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭ted1

84% of glass is already recycled. Not sure this is actually needed

• Advertisement

This is for recycling cans and plastic, not bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭go4it

probably he meant a plastic bottle ( PET bottle ) of juice etc , as in a plastic bottle.

Probably the machines will take in only the special marked bottles at beginning, so a lot of people will not bother after coming to the reverse vending machine with a bag full of 'old' bottles - there's scope for some retailers to accept old bottles to attract footfall ..

From the re-turn.ie site : A deposit of 15c will apply to containers from 150ml to 500ml inclusive and a deposit of 25c for containers over 500mls to 3 litres inclusive.

Currently at Lidl machines there's a cap of €2 per purchase ( from a single or multiple receipts combined) but not per day - you can bring a pile of bottles, take a €2 receipt for every 20 valid ones, and spend it all in Lidl or keep it for Christmas shopping

valid bottles= with barcode, enlisted in a database that we don't have access ; some Lidl own products are not accepted ( no chance for imported drink cans/bottles , etc )

People drive miles out of their way to save 1 cent on a litre of fuel so I don't envisage many dumping without trying to redeem the deposit

Strange you should make that point because before we had the pirate, I mean private, bin companies the councils did lift the bins and did a pretty good job at it so I'm not sure your point is relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

I may have the finer details wrong in my earlier post.

So lets see if I've got the following wrong also.

Currently I take all my waste to the local tip once a month. It works fine for me. 90% of my neighbours use a waste collection company so they'r sorted too.

So who is left to use this new scheme? Or are you saying that my neighbours and I will start bringing all these recyclables back to the shops. If so can you imagine the queue out the door of people waiting with bags of recycling. It doesn't seem practical to me and I doubt it will happen. Net result is it will just be a huge price hike to our weekly shopping.

Have I got this appraisal wrong also.

Your example of a council offloading to a private company proves my point exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sounds about right to me we do the same and our recycling is meticulously sorted out. I just told my wife about Aldi's similar system that they are rolling out (they are fitting one out in Dungarvan atm) and she madly recycles everything. Her reply was why bother?

It looks to me from what I can see being set up in Aldi's carpark in Dungarvan that the recycling will hardly cover the energy used to set up. So to recycle aluminum cans we have to have computers and compactors?

I agree in principle with recycling but this is a ridiculous willy waving exercise in look at how green we are one up man ship.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Does anyone know does these or the Aldi ones take pet food cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Your wife is right.

For a current 100% recycler like her this new system offers only inconvenience.

Instead of putting it all in the recycling bin she will be queuing up in the cold and rain to get her deposit back.

The upside is that it should reduce littering because if people dump cans or bottles someone else will pick up and return them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

But the problem is Lidl will only take back stuff they sell and Aldi the same so a can bought by a school kid at the local newsagent and dropped on the street after they have finished with it won't be returnable.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

No, you can return any bottle or can with the Re-Turn logo to any retailer in the country. Doesn't matter where it was purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It will be returnable, you just have to find a place that will take it.

Smaller stores will be exempt from the scheme.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Indeed that's true but that's the price that has to be paid because of the significant minority of cnuts in this country who don't recycle properly (or at all) and have the countryside destroyed with their discarded bottles/cans etc. At least now there's an incentive for others to pick up any bottles/cans they find on a roadside, beach, mountain etc.

Hopefully this and the latte levy will have some positive impact in cleaning up the Irish great outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 28,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's a pity there is no way this could have been combined with the kerbside recycling collection from Greyhound, Panda etc and credit refunded to your account. Would save a lot of hassle for those who have been responsible with the bottles and cans. But logistically tricky.

I wonder will some charities perhaps run door to door \ garden collections blitzes.

Or perhaps a supermarket might offer to match your credit if you opt to donate to charity at their unit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

🤦‍♂️

Where on earth are you getting your info because it's very, very wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

Normal black bin charges will have to go up to cover this.

These plastic bottles and cans are valuable to the waste companies.

So when that income is taken away from them, they will up their other waste prices to cover what they are losing.

So this will end up costing us all more money.

Collecting aluminium cans via existing household green bins is a more efficient process than

• having everyone in the country make separate journeys in their car to a location with a bag of cans
    • manufacturing thousands of bespoke machines
    • powering said machines
    • having a fleet of trucks constantly emptying these machines (they will only hold a small qty of cans)
    • having technicians drive around the country full time to repair these machines

Even if recycle rate increases somewhat, it will not offset the inefficiency of the overall process. It will do more harm to the environment, economy and consumers than good. It's a money making scam for the boys, same as most things in this country. Hidden behind a veneer of not-for-profit companies and fake environmentalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,537 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The only argument for this is that it might reduce the amount of recyclable waste dumped around the country outside the waste network, the problem is that the cans/plastic bottles need to be in an intact state so can't be crushed or dented or they will not be accepted, majority of what I see discarded would not be accepted. At the machines if something is not accepted it will need to be brought home as machine will not take it even with no fee given back to customer, what will likely happen is they will be dumped in the nearest bin resulting in the creation of even more waste, particularly from people who currently recycle near 100% of their goods.

It makes the rushed tens of millions blown on E-Voting machine look like a well thought out idea.

• Advertisement

The resistance to improving our recycling rates is a strange one

Advertisement