Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is my RCD tripping due to a faulty socket?

• 31-08-2021 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I have several socket in the garage. When I try to use a drill on one of the sockets, the RCD trips but the drill works fine on other sockets that go through the same RCD.

This is most likely an issue with the socket or the wiring to the socket, correct?

The garage in question is not mine and I didn't have to look into it yesterday.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

what about anything else plugged in to the same socket?? What happens?

Is there dirt/grime on the outside of the socket? if there is and perhaps the combination of an old plug on the drill (without sleeves on the upper parts of the L and N pins) maybe it could cause this?

Or debris somehow building up inside at the back of the socket , also check connections in the socket are tight.

BTW

I'm assuming this is a modern drill, not an old one with a metal frame, which many would say should not be used at all anymore for safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Check the Earth's on the 'working' sockets.

The drill might have an earth leakage and the socket tripping is working fine, but the earth is broken after this socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

The fact that drill works fine on other sockets on same RCD circuit might well indicate that something is happening with action of drill plug pins engaging with socket, hence the socket.

Does it trip solely from action of plugging in drill or only when you energise it?

How do other appliances effect the RCD when plugged in to same socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Also could be E and N wrong way around on the problem socket. Other items work in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭98-00

I'll have to have a look at these things the next time I'm down there. Thanks for the tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

First thing is plug something else into the problem socket anyway.

Advertisement