Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Owners License

Options
  • 27-08-2021 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

It's about time we started licensing pet owners rather the pets. Irresponsible pet ownership is a scourge here.

The inevitable rebound from the demand for dogs during lockdown, with an associated rise in scummy behavior such as pet thefts, has started with sanctuary being inundated with now unwanted pets.

🙈🙉🙊

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Everyone saw this coming. Once things opened back up, dogs would be handed back. It's a cruel thing to do. Dogs become members of the family. They become attached to their owners. They are not playthings to keep you busy because you've to work at home.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I don't think a license would do a thing OP, for the mere fact it won't be enforced and would do nothing to actually deter people from making stupid decisions regarding getting dogs they don't really want.

Although, I'd be all for in just on the basis that I plan on being a life long multiple pet owner and it will save me an absolute fortune just to have one license.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Iggy Pop

Praline: A license for my pet fish, Eric.

Clerk: How did you know my name was Eric?

Praline: No, no, no! My fish's name is Eric. Eric fish. He's an halibut.

Clerk: What?

Praline: He is an halibut.

Clerk: You've got a pet halibut?

Praline: Yes, I chose him out of thousands. I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Clerk: You must be a loony.

Praline: I am not a loony. Why should I be tarred with the epithet 'loony' merely because I have a pet halibut? I've heard tell that Sir Gerald Nabarro has a pet prawn called Simon - you wouldn't call him a loony! Furthermore Dawn Pathorpe, the lady showjumper, had a clam called Stafford, after the late chancellor. Alan Bullock has two pikes, both called Chris, and Marcel Proust had an 'addock! So if you're calling the author of 'A la recherche de temps perdu' a loony, I shall have to ask you to step outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Four and a half hours ago, you left to collect two fish suppers! I gave you £1.75 in good faith! Where is my bit of Halibut?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The "rise" in dog theft was a social media rise.

The reported level of dog theft did not rise, but the gossips and catastrophe syndrome ninnies on social media created fake scare stories.

Chalk on path, cable ties and ribbon on trees.

And gullible people believed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Exactly, all fueled by people with nothing to do because they're locked up at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tell that to someone whose dog got stolen, I'm sure they'll be relived that it was all in their imagination.

The poster didn't suggest there were no thefts.

Just that thefts didn't rise, which they didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

You will own nothing, and be happy.

We are going to be told soon that there is no place for dogs and cats in todays world if we are going to take climate change seriously. The more people forced into rental apartments (with no pets allowed) over being able to buy their own place will slowly edge out pet ownership. Except the elite of course.

We admit that the world is overcrowded yet how many of us keep dogs, many locked up for 10 hour working days.

All that red meat that is consumed by dogs and cats and all the birds killed by cats. It all adds up.

Bidens dog biting people repeatedly is the start of the drip feed that pets are bad and need to be controlled.

There may be a pet pandemic soon also.

I think there will be a licence. Broad at first and then restricting as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There wont be a licence because the laws that are already there are simply not enforced.

Many people here pretend to care about animals but they are little more than accessories for the 'gram. When they have outlived their usefulness it's the pound or the side of the road for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It is cruel. Shows you just how selfish people can be. Getting a dog because they didn't want to be alone during the lockdown, but now that things are back open so long fido don't need you anymore.

If someone can do that to such a loving animal like a dog what wouldn't they do to a fellow person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That piece of Halibut was good enough for Jehovah

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just start prosecuting those narcissists who seem to think they have the right to let their dog loose in public spaces.

Me, me, me.

To hell with the safety of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Ermmmm there is a licence for dogs, why would you think there wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A licence to own a dog not a license for a dog.

🙈🙉🙊

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement