Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave entitlement during maternity leave

Options
  • 27-08-2021 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Quick question, after finishing maternity leave should an employee have accrued annual leave as if they were working as normal for this period? Is this statutory or discretionary? Citizens advice is vague- says "you can accrue annual leave while on maternity leave". Employee handbook doesn't refer to annual leave while on maternity leave.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

For my wife it was all built up so before returning to work she used it up.....well leaving some for rest of year.

I expect you need to ask HR of your company to confirm exactly what they offer, I dont think all companies offer the same

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Yes.

However in teaching for example you have to take the annual leave during school holidays which means you pretty much cannot accumulate days

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

I took only 19 weeks maternity leave and going back on Monday (office job). I started the job in November 2020 with an entitlement of 25.5 days and I have only taken 1.5 days. They allowed us to carry into 2021 due to covid etc.

I looked at my annual leave balance (needs to be accrued - not given at start of year) and i only have 11.3 days which doesn't seem correct so I'm asking will my employer turn around and say you aren't entitled to accrue as its not statutory?

Advertisement