Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Buying and importing a mini-digger from UK to Ireland

• 26-08-2021 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ Staleturnips

Howdy folks,

I'm in the market for a mini-digger and as there is a much bigger marketplace in the UK and wondering if buying there and then importing back over to Ireland is the best option.

Just wondering if anyone has done this in post Brexit/CV19 times? Is it a lot of hassle and ultimately was it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭ 148multi

Unless it partly built in the UK, 23% vat plus 10% customs, and pay UK vat, then try to claim it back. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭ Patsy167

100% not worth it since the latest Brexit rules came in

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ Staleturnips

From what I can gather the machine being exported from the UK would not incur UK VAT, I'm told no importing Plant doesn't incur a tariff but Irish VAT would have to be paid as the machine is being imported into Ireland.

I think its a case of finding a machine in the UK then to the purchase price add in the Irish import VAT and transportation cost, and comparing that to what can be purchased in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭ The Nutty M

Unless it has a certificate of origin from the UK then it is subject to import duty unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,637 ✭✭✭✭ listermint

Wouldn't it still get duty even if origin was UK as UK is outside EU now. They are effectively China.

• Advertisement
Advertisement