Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying and importing a mini-digger from UK to Ireland

Options
  • 26-08-2021 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

I'm in the market for a mini-digger and as there is a much bigger marketplace in the UK and wondering if buying there and then importing back over to Ireland is the best option.

Just wondering if anyone has done this in post Brexit/CV19 times? Is it a lot of hassle and ultimately was it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

Unless it partly built in the UK, 23% vat plus 10% customs, and pay UK vat, then try to claim it back. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

100% not worth it since the latest Brexit rules came in

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Staleturnips

From what I can gather the machine being exported from the UK would not incur UK VAT, I'm told no importing Plant doesn't incur a tariff but Irish VAT would have to be paid as the machine is being imported into Ireland.

I think its a case of finding a machine in the UK then to the purchase price add in the Irish import VAT and transportation cost, and comparing that to what can be purchased in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Unless it has a certificate of origin from the UK then it is subject to import duty unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wouldn't it still get duty even if origin was UK as UK is outside EU now. They are effectively China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I have my eye on a little second-hand towable Powerfab digger over in the UK. They're made in Wales I think.

Whats the situation about bringing it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

No, the rules re, no duty on UK origin goods are still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

Preferential tariff treatment

In the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement, tariff duties have been eliminated for trade between the European Union (EU) and the United Kingdom (UK) where the relevant rules on origin are met.

It is important to note that a claim for preferential tariff treatment:

• for imports into Ireland can be made only where the goods are of UK origin.
    • for imports into the UK can be made only where the goods are of EU origin.

To prove the origin of a product the exporter should include a ‘statement on origin’ on:

• an invoice
    • or
    • any other document that describes the product in enough detail to identify that product.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/businesses/origin/eu-uk-trade-agreement/preferential-tariff-treatment.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

What would stop someone driving from Scotland to Belfast on the ferry and driving down?

It's not like it would have customs chasing you for VAT at the border?

If one is importing a machine from the UK with an EU origin, is there custom duties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

On other products yes, so expect the same might be the case with machinery. It could be transported through the UK though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

There must be some way around it. I see a lad bringing in dumpers etc and selling them. Nothing that needs a tax book.

He has other stuff that would be irl registered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

If you are doing accounts and wish to keep everything correct the expense and hassle of bring any machine for the UK at the minute isn't worth it. the 10% customs takes all the good out of it. If its mini digger you are looking to import why don't you look to main land Europe. I see a lad who imports tractors near me is bringing in stuff from France. Someone told me the spec on the French machines isn't as good as the UK but that even without the 10% customs tax the French machines are still far cheaper.

There's lads bringing in machinery surely, the type of men dodging revenue anyway, not a great business plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭onrail

I wondered this. Fair enough, if you wanted to write off depreciation all would have to be above board, but otherwise, customs isn't going to know anything about a machine bought in Armagh by a private individual and brought south?

I'd guess there's more customs officers now, but their checking is more hit and run style.

Advertisement