Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved home; car insurance 170 more for 6 months

Options
  • 26-08-2021 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Annual policy with AXA 330 euro.

Moved house with 6 months left on policy and they want me to pay 170 euro extra (including 30 euro admin fee)

If I factor in 6 months cover was 330/2 = 165 they are basically doubling the cost of my insurance for a new address. I asked to haggle, I asked could I change insurance to say 9 months and not pay a fee, but no, that's the cost, min 1 year policy. Anyway I am going to change insurer, but it's a pain. If I change insurer it will save me 150 euro or so.

My partner changed her insurance for 32 euro from old address to same new address. Makes absolutely no sense, but when did insurance ever make sense.

Anyone else ripped off more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

Happened to me about 1 year ago with 123.ie (RSA).

They charged me ~130,00 for a change in my address, arguing this was due to a righer hisk area I was moving to.

When looking at their own online calculator a new identical policy except the address would be about 80,00 cheaper, proving that the new address was in a lower risk area.

As you would expect, there was no step back from this, even after so many calls. At some point they just say "pay or leave, end of story".

I decided to leave.

In Germany the risk assigned to living in a particular area is well publicized so it doesn't give an insurer an opportunity to price gouge.

Not so in Ireland. Fabulous little country.

https://www.dieversicherer.de/versicherer/auto---reise/regionalklassen-abfrage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I had issues myself with 123 this year, and ended up having to move company, when their online system wouldn't accept any of my cards.

Saved myself €100 in the process 😂 I would have just paid the renewal if they had allowed me to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Same here. I think 123 are trying to get out of the low cost insurance game. I got my renewal from them and it was higher than last year. A couple of phone calls later and I managed to get 50% off my premium with another company so I moved.

In relation to moving addresses, I had the opposite, went from one part of Dublin to another and the insurance was no extra when I changed mid year and then was cheaper at renewal by a lot more than I expected for an extra 1 year of no claims.

Insurance in this country is a random number generator anyway from what I can see and not very transparent. It suits the insurance company share holders I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭zg3409

Update, just got 130 euro refund, took me 10 weeks, multiple phone calls, they say they issued the cheque 3 times to wrong (old) address, even though I told them new address each time. Eventually I had to go into a branch then they said they could do bank transfer, 2 days later asked for bank details, 3 days later money refunded.

It's a pain to try deal with these companies, on hold, not my department, it will take 2 weeks don't worry, I have no status on that query, don't worry etc. My recommendation is to go to branch if they have one, for refund and proof of no claims.

• Advertisement
Advertisement