Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car crash insurance advice

Options
  • 26-08-2021 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hope this is allowed

Looking for a bit of (general) advice.

I wrote my car off recently. No other car involved (🙏) , I ended up in a ditch, amazingly no injuries. (headache from the airbag smack & stress)

Anyway, a couple of days later I got a call from one of the Gardai who arrived on the scene saying the owner of the field I crashed into is looking to speak to me about paying for the damage to his "fence" and would be happy to settle it "civilly. "

I have videos and pictures of the damage & there is no fence in any part of said field. Just thick shrubbery.

The field owner is now ringing constantly (block list is a great feature).

I feel like they're going to attempt to get money out of me as it will just be settled through my insurance.

Should I be reporting this to my insurance company so he can't over claim fir his non existent fence!?

Head isn't in the right place to be dealing with this person right now so I said I'd ask for general advice before I engage them!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭on_the_roots

By his approach saying "to settle it civily" it clearly indicates he knows that the insurance company would complicate things, asking for an inspection/quote of the damaged area and he is likely not be successful on his fraudulent claim.

Let the insurer know about this and point out this detail. To reinforce it, go back to the place, take pictures and provide to your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Who do you think you are? Not that hard pick up the phone and said any claim call my insurance

Fraudulent claims Lol .op write off his car airbags deployed and you think there no damage done to his fence. Plus you think garda is in with fraudulent claims as well by passing on op phone numbers to field owner

I bet op got bang on head is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get him to write up an invoice of what he is seeking and tell him you will compare it to your records taken on the day of the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Thanks,

I've gone back and taken pictures and videos of where it happened.

The guy is a chancer!

Learn to read you illiterate clown.

As stated in the OP there is no fence.

And to your 1st reply, I'll contact him when I feel like it! 😘

Thanks. That's a great advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well you planted your car in the land owners shrubbery so he is entitled to have it returned to how it was whether you like it or not or whether you regard it as a fence or not.

The arrogance you are showing here is frightening. You caused the situation yet you think it's ok to block the landowners calls and deal with it or not when you please yourself.

You should be at least meeting the landowner and discussing what will be needed to repair any damage done.

For all we know, the farmer had planned shrubbery put in place at great expense to satisfy his gloss scheme or whatever and you have now torn a hole in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Quote - Should I be reporting this to my insurance company so he can't over claim fir his non existent fence!? - End quote

You have a duty to report all aspects of the incident to your insurance company

You're a complete muppet .thinking you can damage his fence and just walk away not happening (I know owner very well 🙂 you won't be laughing for long

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭on_the_roots

A claim to fix a non existing fence is ok for you? To me it is called fraud.

Garda has nothing to do with this claim. The landowner is entitled to call Garda in order to contact the other party regardless what his claim is, that's it.

As per your last post you know the land owner. So it's clear now why you come here to spread your nonsene comments.

Just playing Devils Advocate here. A “fence” can be any number of things from blocks, rocks, wooden fence, chain link, sheep wire, formal manicured plants……the list is endless. To write off a car and for the Gardai to actually attend suggests a major impact and the possibility of damage. The OP didn’t say if they inspected the other side of the fence. Yes, the landowner might be a chancer, but there might be damage caused that isn’t clear from a casual inspection. The OP needs inform their insurance and let the landowner know this and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Nothing of such. Should under no circumstances discuss anything with the landowner.

OP, inform the insurance company pronto and let them deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

OP, you crashed into the boundary of this man's property and wrote your car off. It's not possible you did this without causing damage to whatever you crashed into so he has a valid claim against you. You can either deal with this yourself or through your insurance company - if through your insurance company you need to inform them and provide the owner of the field with your insurance details so he can make his claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

OP, your attitude towards this incident is poor to say the least.

At this point inform your insurance company, give the farmer your insurance companys number and move on. You should have informed the insurance company in the first instance anyway.

The farmer wanted to save you from having to deal with a formal claim - which was a nice, if not rather silly in this case, gesture.

As another poster has mentioned, a "fence" can be any number of things.

Now, you'll have to take a hit to your insurance most likely - no harm really for your attitude towards this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Quote from previous post...

The farmer wanted to save you from having to deal with a formal claim - which was a nice, if not rather silly in this case, gesture.

Alternative theory: the farmer knows the insurance will laugh him out of it for claiming for 'damage' to a hedge so he's looking to exploit the situation to squeeze money out of the OP. Under the threat of lodging a claim (however spurious) which would affect the OP's no-claims discount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was 'fence' the garda's word, or the landowner's word? if you made **** of his hedge, it's not unreasonable of him to expect to have to repair this, and for it to cost time or money.

i suspect not many farmers are keen on the notion of people flattening their hedgerows and thinking 'oh well, no damage done really'.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Eldudeson

First off, I'm glad you're ok OP. I've been there and it's not fun!

Any chance you can share one of the pictures? Even if it's only a few shrubs, it shouldn't be out of his pocket to replace them. I'd still like to know how much he's after and what it's for before calling him a chancer.

Advertisement