Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to become an electrian

Options
  • 25-08-2021 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all, I wonder if you can help?

I am a marine engineer and am Qualified to work with ships electrical systems including high voltage management level. I am thinking of furthering my education in electrical engineering as I've got a good understanding of electrical systems and just like electrics.

Now as I'm not able to afford 4 years of college yet, I'm thinking of becoming an electrician.

Is there a short cut in doing this?

I have been wiring for years so skills shouldn't be a problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't know why you would want train as an electrician if really you are more interested in doing Electrical Engineering.

To answer your question, I don't think the time can be reduced as so much of it is down to on the job learning. That being said, you may find a contractor who acknowledges the experience/ capability you have and they may pay you a year above or something while having you on the books as an electrician apprentice but it would still take 4 years until you receive your papers. ( I'm not sure if this is frowned up or flat out illegal and I suspect you will have to do the college portions of the training as normal)

One thing to consider is if your previous training may give you credit so that you might go straight in to year 2 of an electrical engineering course rather than having to do the full 4 years but again, I'm not saying it is definitely possible.

There are bridging courses aimed for electricians to move to L7 Electrical Engineers, not directly relevant for you given the question you are asking but speaking directly with some of the people involved in these programs should give you further direction and they'd be best placed to discuss

Linky link. (click course page at bottom for further info)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Anthony M

Thanks for your help. Well one of the main reasons I was thinking of this was because I could do work in the evening and weekends for extra money. The problem is even having a electrical engineering degree doesn't allow you to actually wire domestically.

Il look into this further. Thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You're right. Being degree qualified does not automatically allow for physical wiring. You need to have the formal training for that (and then pretty much RECI membership but that's a topic for another day).

Good luck with the investigation, personally I think an electrical apprenticeship (with the right company/contractor) is a very decent qualification to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Anthony M

Thank. I think I will look into apprenticeship. I think this will help towards my end goal. Thanks for your in site. Good idea about apprenticeship with a company.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Have you looked into the format of an apprenticeship? An apprenticeship with a company isn't just a good idea...it's the only possible way to become an electrician in Ireland.

Is there any way you could do an apprenticeship more closely related to the work you have been doing rather than domestic wiring? Domestic wiring can be really soul destroying if you have an interest in more technical aspects of electrical work which you seem to have.

You will also learn at some point to say no to the evening and weekend work unless you really need the money as it's more than its worth in general. Legally you wouldn't be allowed to do most of it as an apprentice as you need to be an electrical contractor with insurance to do anything except very basic electrical work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I'm a qualified electrician (10 years experience) that progressed to an electrical engineer (roughly 9 years now). If you have any further questions on any of those items I'd gladly help.

You won't go wrong becoming an electrician. As another poster said, domestic work is heart breaking and the experience you would gain is minimal. That's speaking from experience. It was only when I became an engineer that I realised how poorly I was trained as an electrician. I'd recommend getting in with a one of the bigger electrical contractors to learn proper electrical work.

There is a big demand for electrician's and apprentices at the moment. If you want to start from the bottom.

Advertisement